Acid Forums

Full Version: Your views on the #Metoo movement
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Discuss. Do you think it is empowering the women around the world or is it just some feminist propaganda? My views on it are kind of neutral.
What is this?
Its good for awareness of sexual assault.

But not a replacement for an actual trial. The problem is that people are using it as a substitute for the court system which is doing real harm. Not only that, but there are a lot of problems with the general mentality that proponents of it have:

- They don't consider the varying degrees or different types of sexual misconduct. Morgan Freeman saying stupid shit 30 years ago is not as bad him raping someone. Matt Damon got in trouble for pointing this out if I remember correctly
- They make it seem like any sort of flirting or fun between the sexes in the workplace is equivalent to sexual harassment which its not. Henry Cavill got in trouble for pointing this out. And Netflix apparently has banned eye contact to stop "sexual harassment"
- They make any and all claims of sexual misconduct of equivalent value. An accusation from 30 years ago with no proof is taken as seriously as one from yesterday. This is ridiculous.
- They don't seem to understand the concept of innocent until proven guilty and instead its "guilty until proven guiltier"
- Don't acknowledge that false accusers exist and women do indeed lie about rape and sexual assault for attention and revenge
- Make it seem like the reason rapists are not convicted is due to a patriarchal court system but the real reason is due to how hard it is to prove the crime. Its not a fault that you should lay at the feet of courts.
- Don't put any responsibility on women. If you are assaulted by someone, its your responsibility to report it asap to stop the person from doing it to anyone else.
- Social media is not the place you should report sexual assault if you want justice.

Hashtags are good for awareness but usually not for anything more. #meToo has overstepped its boundaries and gone too far. IMO its doing real harm in society. My workplace is pretty chill but even I feel I need to be extra careful around my female co-workers - who I get along well with. Maybe I am more paranoid than other people but if I feel that way, I suspect I'm not the only one.

(2018-10-22 10:36:59)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: [ -> ]What is this?

Its a hashtag movement started quite some time ago that has to do with awareness of sexual assault where people will say "#meToo" to say that they've been sexually assaulted. Now there is quite some controversy and discussion that its gone too far for many of the reasons I mentioned above.
it's a hashtag that combines the words "Me" and "Too"
(2018-10-22 18:45:18)Ali Wrote: [ -> ]

Its a hashtag movement started quite some time ago that has to do with awareness of sexual assault where people will say "#meToo" to say that they've been sexually assaulted. Now there is quite some controversy and discussion that its gone too far for many of the reasons I mentioned above.

Oh, this thing.
You described it pretty well, though. I'd say that actual victims aren't responsible for anything, but otherwise you hit the nail in the head.

This has gotten to the point where someone mentioning online that they have been sexually harassed by a public figure means nothing at all. I've heard of cases where someone claimed harassment because they were whistled at, once; of an actress playing a secondary role claiming molestation because the lead actor grabbed her butt and kissed her, despite this was all written in the script; of someone being accused of rape because they had (fully consensuated) sex with a 17-year-old girl (regardless of whether this is illegal or not, which I'm not sure of, this is simply NOT rape); and many other cases of either nothing or minor things, particularly of decades-old events, being discussed as sexual harassment.

There are real victims out there. Giving attention to these silly claims draws it away from the actual cases, and it makes rape seem "not that bad", when it's actually one of the worst experiences someone can undergo, even considered torture by some. False accusers, in particular, are some of the worst kind of people there could ever exist.
(2018-10-23 09:43:28)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: [ -> ]Oh, this thing.
You described it pretty well, though. I'd say that actual victims aren't responsible for anything, but otherwise you hit the nail in the head.

This has gotten to the point where someone mentioning online that they have been sexually harassed by a public figure means nothing at all. I've heard of cases where someone claimed harassment because they were whistled at, once; of an actress playing a secondary role claiming molestation because the lead actor grabbed her butt and kissed her, despite this was all written in the script; of someone being accused of rape because they had (fully consensuated) sex with a 17-year-old girl (regardless of whether this is illegal or not, which I'm not sure of, this is simply NOT rape); and many other cases of either nothing or minor things, particularly of decades-old events, being discussed as sexual harassment.

There are real victims out there. Giving attention to these silly claims draws it away from the actual cases, and it makes rape seem "not that bad", when it's actually one of the worst experiences someone can undergo, even considered torture by some. False accusers, in particular, are some of the worst kind of people there could ever exist.

Maybe I was being harsh. There are legitimate reasons that people don't come forward, especially when the person that did it is in a position of power. While its usually the right thing to do, its definitely not easy. I can't say for certain that I would have to courage to come forward myself if I were in the place of a victim.

Its just that...a lot of the things that have to do with this movement frustrate me. Not long ago one of our politicians here in Canada (who was projected to win an election) was accused anonymously which caused him to drop out. One of the two accusers apparently later ended up changing their story. Here are two articles on the situation that I think sum it up well

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/christi...vulnerable

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/christi...o-recovery

And I 100% agree, its ironically normalizing these things.