Thread Rating:
  • 27 Vote(s) - 4.7 Average
Platform Racing 3 Reborn
(2015-08-19 19:44:57)FinalCheetah Wrote: Okay so here's the story about PR3 ownership.
  • Jiggmin sold the rights to Sparkworkz who were a sub division of Inxile entertainment.
  • We know that the code is Jiggmin's work.
  • The art was sub-contracted to an employee of Sparkworkz, I cannot remember her name, but she was active on the Sparkworkz forum for a little while. She was responsible for all the standard blocks, except the PR2 set, all the hats, body parts and backgrounds.
  • Inxile laid off most of the workers from Sparkworkz, this included Jiggmin's liaison, so he couldn't update the game. Also Captain_Sparkworkz and everyone except one guy who was working on maintenance on the website. (And doing a shit job)
  • Revenue fell as a result of extensive downtime. Which led to Inxile finally closing Sparkworkz. PR3 wasn't deemed profitable and due to the block editor, required too much upkeep in server costs.
  • Jiggmin contacted Inxile about the rights of the game and apparantly they had an agreement that Jiggmin could release it if everything from Sparkworkz was stripped from the game. Which in this case is art, Sparkworkz branding etc.
So if you want to release the game on Kongregate you need to replace the art assets. That's not going to be trivial to do, but luckily there are plenty of artists on the forum and even more block creators.
Woah, thats pretty messy stuff  Confused We can too contact to everyone and ask are they fine if we release it.

(2015-08-19 20:12:50)Kyukon Wrote: @new campaign idea: I'm fully in favor of a new campaign though considering some of the people who have had their levels be part of the original PR3 campaign in the past are on this very forum maybe they could be asked if they want to renew their spot with a new level entry? idk If not that's alright too I'm feeling a bit iffy over taking a large chunk of someone else's work (even with replacing the art assets) and uploading it onto Kong but not much I can do against it lol.

I aggree some old PR3 campaing levels would be cool to see but just few problem: Do they want recreate blocks and whole level? If they don't do it does anyone want do it for them?

(2015-08-20 02:32:30)Twilamb Wrote: A few bugs I noticed:
Code:
Movement: Sound effects cut off (as others have said) Super Jump animation looks off Blocks: Can't delete blocks All default block names are currently "null" Blocks appear oldest->newest when it'd make more sense to be newest->oldest There's no glowing things(idk how to describe) on move blocks. Levels: Can't delete levels Oldest->newest should be newest->oldest Items: When holding mine it doesn't appear in hand When holding block it doesn't appear in hand Jetpack sound never stops Shield sound never stops Loading: Not really a bug but loading levels overall seems a lot slower than the old pr3. Both loading the blocks and the bg seperatly both seem slightly slower. (At least according to my memory of pr3) Also on a side note: Evil Aliens is pure ear rape. Though they probably were in the original pr3 too.
Just listing these 4 reference. Not trying to lower morale because I really love this. Even considering all these bugs, it still feels like the old pr3. Even if some of these bugs never get fixed it'd still be great. Gladly will make levels once this starts getting more refined.

I take a look and see what I can do, blocks and level deleting going work today Smile
Remember check out my project! http://forums.acidch.at/showthread.php?tid=115

(2015-08-19 09:19:53)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: My next username will be ax6'); DROP DATABASE; --

If you do enjoy minecraft content try out this: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...o57OGMOdCU
(2015-08-19 19:44:57)FinalCheetah Wrote: Okay so here's the story about PR3 ownership.
  • Jiggmin sold the rights to Sparkworkz who were a sub division of Inxile entertainment.
  • We know that the code is Jiggmin's work.
  • The art was sub-contracted to an employee of Sparkworkz, I cannot remember her name, but she was active on the Sparkworkz forum for a little while. She was responsible for all the standard blocks, except the PR2 set, all the hats, body parts and backgrounds.
  • Inxile laid off most of the workers from Sparkworkz, this included Jiggmin's liaison, so he couldn't update the game. Also Captain_Sparkworkz and everyone except one guy who was working on maintenance on the website. (And doing a shit job)
  • Revenue fell as a result of extensive downtime. Which led to Inxile finally closing Sparkworkz. PR3 wasn't deemed profitable and due to the block editor, required too much upkeep in server costs.
  • Jiggmin contacted Inxile about the rights of the game and apparantly they had an agreement that Jiggmin could release it if everything from Sparkworkz was stripped from the game. Which in this case is art, Sparkworkz branding etc.

So if you want to release the game on Kongregate you need to replace the art assets. That's not going to be trivial to do, but luckily there are plenty of artists on the forum and even more block creators.

How do you know this? did Jiggmin ever talked about this?
[Image: mS0wGAu.png]
(2015-08-19 17:20:34)isokissa3 Wrote:
(2015-08-19 17:01:59)ProClifo Wrote: I have the full game here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B568VXC...EtkSmdUeEE
Whats different between PR3 game.swf, PR3 New Mode.swf and pr3-5-20-11-1 (swfdump).swf

EDIT: Looked it out,
PR3 game.swf -> Preloader
New Mode.swf -> (Edited) pr3-5-20-11-1 (swfdump).swf
pr3-5-20-11-1 (swfdump).swf -> Same as mine but different background Tongue
Yeah the swfdump is the original final version of the game. Yours is an unofficial version made by Vliroo that he put on his yolasite.
[Image: gWu2Jq2.jpg]
(2015-08-20 08:06:36)ProClifo Wrote:
(2015-08-19 17:20:34)isokissa3 Wrote:
(2015-08-19 17:01:59)ProClifo Wrote: I have the full game here https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B568VXC...EtkSmdUeEE
Whats different between PR3 game.swf, PR3 New Mode.swf and pr3-5-20-11-1 (swfdump).swf EDIT: Looked it out, PR3 game.swf -> Preloader New Mode.swf -> (Edited) pr3-5-20-11-1 (swfdump).swf pr3-5-20-11-1 (swfdump).swf -> Same as mine but different background Tongue
Yeah the swfdump is the original final version of the game. Yours is an unofficial version made by Vliroo that he put on his yolasite.
Yeah, I was unable find any others, I'm currently fixing yours and looks its not that buggy, yey!

(2015-08-19 09:19:53)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: My next username will be ax6'); DROP DATABASE; --

If you do enjoy minecraft content try out this: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...o57OGMOdCU
All these bugs are due to the fact this is just an old version of PR3, am I not right?

One more thing: the art, in my opinion, should be placed under the approval of some art leaders that would take care of the homogeneity of art style.

I just don't want to see a patchwork PR3 with very contrasting art styles.

For instance: one could take care of redoing menu assets (buttons, colors, etc.).

Just a few others could take care of player sets (body/feet/head..), because if there were too many people the style would be uncontrollable and it might look a bit crappy in game.

Blocks could be done by pretty much anyone long as sets look coherent.

Campaign levels are independent from one an other and could be done by anyone.
(Besides I doubt the old campaign level owners would enjoy recopying their level piece by piece: they'd rather make new ones)

That's my opinion.
(2015-08-20 08:56:57)Ilraon Wrote: All these bugs are due to the fact this is just an old version of PR3, am I not right? One more thing: the art, in my opinion, should be placed under the approval of some art leaders that would take care of the homogeneity of art style. I just don't want to see a patchwork PR3 with very contrasting art styles. For instance: one could take care of redoing menu assets (buttons, colors, etc.). Just a few others could take care of player sets (body/feet/head..), because if there were too many people the style would be uncontrollable and it might look a bit crappy in game. Blocks could be done by pretty much anyone long as sets look coherent. Campaign levels are independent from one an other and could be done by anyone. (Besides I doubt the old campaign level owners would enjoy recopying their level piece by piece: they'd rather make new ones) That's my opinion.
All these bugs are due the fact I decompiled source code, when you decompile source code its not guarantee all working like you want, there is some things goes wrong. First are syntax errors and then some bugs that works like they should but something goes wrong example that jetpack and shield sound bug was because it created two sound effect but only one was turned off, I fixed it now, so no more dublicated sound effects, just one. Some features are missing on my server example ordering oldest->newest and deleting levels and blocks and I bit forgot about it Tongue I get it working today.

With art, I want first try to contact people who made them and then ask can I use them in future, if they don't give their permission then lets think whats most smart thing to do.

I prefer more new ones and not copying others, thats slow and bit stupid. If old campaing level owners come and register their account and recreate their level its fine for me.

EDIT: Block loading and level bacground and that stuff are slow because I don't host database on same server because it don't have enought power for it. Webserver is hosted in French and database in Finland Confused I buy own server for PR3 soon so its going be fast then Smile

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to isokissa3 for this post:
  • Ilraon
@campaign thingy: my intention was not for the campaign levels to be remade exactly the same as the old ones, or even remotely similar unless the person really wanted to
i meant in terms of since they earned a slot in the campaign presumably for being a good level maker, they should be given the opportunity to make whatever level they choose to fill the slot they used to have
actually, I've decided to retract my former idea I think it'd be better if everyone were given a fair and equal footing for the new levels

also seconding getting a consistent artstyle, I heard that for the "official" pr3 revival back on JV they were planning on using contests and shit with pr2 body parts as the motivation and that doesn't sit right with me at all
[19:15:40] <aaaaaa123456789> don't you dare xD me young man
(2015-08-20 09:31:07)Kyukon Wrote: @campaign thingy: my intention was not for the campaign levels to be remade exactly the same as the old ones, or even remotely similar unless the person really wanted to i meant in terms of since they earned a slot in the campaign presumably for being a good level maker, they should be given the opportunity to make whatever level they choose to fill the slot they used to have either way is fine though also seconding getting a consistent artstyle, I heard that for the "official" pr3 revival back on JV they were planning on using contests and shit with pr2 body parts as the motivation and that doesn't sit right with me at all

I aggree with that campaing thingy Smile

If we are going re-do artstyle I promise I do it right to make it look cool and ask guys feedback, not going make it ugly and messy.

I'll be happy do provide some art for the game. I wouldn't mind doing body parts and hats. Maybe backgrounds too. I can do it in a cartoony style or in a similar style to pr3.
I could also do some music, I have some stuff on soundcloud and I could whip up some little 8bit tunes Tongue
Art Commissions!
Need music for games? (preferably Chiptune 8bit music) I'm available here
3DS friend code - 1607-2766-5470
NNID (for Wii U) - ZeroBox
My DeviantArt ♦ My Youtube ♦ My Music
"If we are going re-do artstyle I promise I do it right to make it look cool and ask guys feedback, not going make it ugly and messy."

Have you made artstyle for a game already? It's very different from making levels etc really you might just ask motivated ACF people. Plus, it will go much faster with multiple people (even more if they are experimented).

(2015-08-20 10:14:00)Box Wrote: I'll be happy do provide some art for the game. I wouldn't mind doing body parts and hats. Maybe backgrounds too.  I can do it in a cartoony style or in a similar style to pr3.
I could also do some music, I have some stuff on soundcloud and I could whip up some little 8bit tunes Tongue

What does your art look like again? :3
(2015-08-20 10:26:30)Ilraon Wrote: "If we are going re-do artstyle I promise I do it right to make it look cool and ask guys feedback, not going make it ugly and messy." Have you made artstyle for a game already? It's very different from making levels etc really you might just ask motivated ACF people. Plus, it will go much faster with multiple people (even more if they are experimented).
(2015-08-20 10:14:00)Box Wrote: I'll be happy do provide some art for the game. I wouldn't mind doing body parts and hats. Maybe backgrounds too. I can do it in a cartoony style or in a similar style to pr3. I could also do some music, I have some stuff on soundcloud and I could whip up some little 8bit tunes Tongue
What does your art look like again? :3

I mean, I don't do it, but I get someone working with it and I keep he on eye, give some ideas and then ask guys feedback Tongue I can't even draw IRL.

Hmh, so custom block folders would be cool... It would look like this then, what you guys think? I think its pretty cool! Big Grin Lets hope I get it working!   Blush

[Image: 0f7c3620130fee7452d377255915631d.gif]

[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to isokissa3 for this post:
  • dotime, Homemade Recipe, Kyukon, Nick, ProClifo, Twilamb
(2015-08-20 10:26:30)Ilraon Wrote: What does your art look like again? :3

Well if you mean me, the link to my deviantart is in my signature. I like drawing in different cartoony styles, but i can do realistic looking stuff like pr3, it just takes longer Tongue
Art Commissions!
Need music for games? (preferably Chiptune 8bit music) I'm available here
3DS friend code - 1607-2766-5470
NNID (for Wii U) - ZeroBox
My DeviantArt ♦ My Youtube ♦ My Music
I first was like, wow, that would be VERY AWESOME.

But I had an other idea, I thought I could share with you so you can all judge it: how about tags on blocks?

[Image: 34od1j4.jpg] > #vanish, green, classic

[Image: k02738.jpg]#impervious, bomb, red, infernoset

That way you could class a block within it's properties (block type, which can somehow be complex) and where the block set is used (for instance, in a level named "Inferno", with hell-ish types of blocks, you'd tag your blocks #infernoset).

A search bar at the place you added folders could help to filter out the blocks you want.

Besides, I thought about limitations because all these blocks and text might be expensive on the long-term, don't you think? The problem is say blocks per users were limited to 500.
That would make about 15 different styled levels.
Then people would basically create an alt.

So? No limitations on blocks? Some people had fairly huge amount of blocks. I'd say PR3 must have hosted at least 15k blocks. That's 15k 40x40 pixel-wide pictures. That's okay? I'm not good at computers and servers.

(2015-08-20 14:16:18)Box Wrote:
(2015-08-20 10:26:30)Ilraon Wrote: What does your art look like again? :3

Well if you mean me, the link to my deviantart is in my signature. I like drawing in different cartoony styles, but i can do realistic looking stuff like pr3, it just takes longer Tongue

Alright, I've seen Smile
I think I'd be fine with seeing your art for 250 hours of my life, if you keep it clean and simple.
I mean by this: the bird set in PR2 is great, it's just not that clean. If you did something in the same style but more accurate etc, it'd be perfect I think. No need for PR3 artstyle since 50% of the people didn't like it.
Those weren't vector-drawn sets in PR3 am I wrong?
(2015-08-20 15:02:35)Ilraon Wrote: I first was like, wow, that would be VERY AWESOME. But I had an other idea, I thought I could share with you so you can all judge it: how about tags on blocks? [Image: 34od1j4.jpg] > #vanish, green, classic [Image: k02738.jpg]#impervious, bomb, red, infernoset That way you could class a block within it's properties (block type, which can somehow be complex) and where the block set is used (for instance, in a level named "Inferno", with hell-ish types of blocks, you'd tag your blocks #infernoset). A search bar at the place you added folders could help to filter out the blocks you want. Besides, I thought about limitations because all these blocks and text might be expensive on the long-term, don't you think? The problem is say blocks per users were limited to 500. That would make about 15 different styled levels. Then people would basically create an alt. So? No limitations on blocks? Some people had fairly huge amount of blocks. I'd say PR3 must have hosted at least 15k blocks. That's 15k 40x40 pixel-wide pictures. That's okay? I'm not good at computers and servers.
Block tagging is useaful because everyone name their levels by its theme, and it would be too complex.

10k custom blocks is not that much, maybe about 50-100MB? It's not going be problem because you these days get server with 1TB disk space very cheap Big Grin

(2015-08-20 07:37:48)Nick Wrote: did Jiggmin ever talked about this?
Yup in fact he was surprisingly candid about the whole thing, like he really wanted to see a reskinned PR3.

(2015-08-20 15:15:13)isokissa3 Wrote: 10k custom blocks is not that much, maybe about 50-100MB? It's not going be problem because you these days get server with 1TB disk space very cheap Big Grin
You don't really need to worry about the storage, it's the bandwidth that will be taxed by stuff like that. Assuming the blocks are stored as a string, it would likely be 10MB or less.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to FinalCheetah for this post:
  • aaaaaa123456789
(2015-08-20 15:15:13)isokissa3 Wrote:
(2015-08-20 15:02:35)Ilraon Wrote: I first was like, wow, that would be VERY AWESOME. But I had an other idea, I thought I could share with you so you can all judge it: how about tags on blocks? > #vanish, green, classic #impervious, bomb, red, infernoset That way you could class a block within it's properties (block type, which can somehow be complex) and where the block set is used (for instance, in a level named "Inferno", with hell-ish types of blocks, you'd tag your blocks #infernoset). A search bar at the place you added folders could help to filter out the blocks you want. Besides, I thought about limitations because all these blocks and text might be expensive on the long-term, don't you think? The problem is say blocks per users were limited to 500. That would make about 15 different styled levels. Then people would basically create an alt. So? No limitations on blocks? Some people had fairly huge amount of blocks. I'd say PR3 must have hosted at least 15k blocks. That's 15k 40x40 pixel-wide pictures. That's okay? I'm not good at computers and servers.
Block tagging is useaful because everyone name their levels by its theme, and it would be too complex.

10k custom blocks is not that much, maybe about 50-100MB? It's not going be problem because you these days get server with 1TB disk space very cheap Big Grin

If it's too complex, forget it; but it's a quite useful way to store blocks.

Folders as you pictured them would do the job wonderfully anyway; I would probably create a folder per level and store inside it all the blocks featured in said level. Assuming the folders can have multiple pages though!
(2015-08-20 17:37:43)Ilraon Wrote:
(2015-08-20 15:15:13)isokissa3 Wrote:
(2015-08-20 15:02:35)Ilraon Wrote: I first was like, wow, that would be VERY AWESOME. But I had an other idea, I thought I could share with you so you can all judge it: how about tags on blocks? > #vanish, green, classic #impervious, bomb, red, infernoset That way you could class a block within it's properties (block type, which can somehow be complex) and where the block set is used (for instance, in a level named "Inferno", with hell-ish types of blocks, you'd tag your blocks #infernoset). A search bar at the place you added folders could help to filter out the blocks you want. Besides, I thought about limitations because all these blocks and text might be expensive on the long-term, don't you think? The problem is say blocks per users were limited to 500. That would make about 15 different styled levels. Then people would basically create an alt. So? No limitations on blocks? Some people had fairly huge amount of blocks. I'd say PR3 must have hosted at least 15k blocks. That's 15k 40x40 pixel-wide pictures. That's okay? I'm not good at computers and servers.
Block tagging is useaful because everyone name their levels by its theme, and it would be too complex. 10k custom blocks is not that much, maybe about 50-100MB? It's not going be problem because you these days get server with 1TB disk space very cheap Big Grin
If it's too complex, forget it; but it's a quite useful way to store blocks. Folders as you pictured them would do the job wonderfully anyway; I would probably create a folder per level and store inside it all the blocks featured in said level. Assuming the folders can have multiple pages though!

Only one thing with categories is, you can only have one block with same name inside all categorys, so you need dublicate block, give it different name and then you can add it to different category without replacing old one. I'm going propally change that to: only same name inside one category so you can have two same name block in two different category, because its bit dump now Big Grin

I had no time to add level and block deleting today, because I was working fixing that new .swf file and fixing bugs guys already reported and a bit block category system. I too managed fix blocks loading very slowly if you only have few them.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to isokissa3 for this post:
  • Kyukon
It looks very promising already nonetheless!
(2015-08-20 16:54:04)FinalCheetah Wrote: Assuming the blocks are stored as a string
I really hope not
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)