Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Left arrow key to switch to previous page - right arrow key to switch to next page
I'm thinking that something like ctrl+shift+arrow could work. It's easy to hit ctrl and shift at the same time (heck, even with the same finger); but it's almost impossible to press those keys accidentally.

What do you guys think?
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to aaaaaa123456789 for this post:
  • Alice, Camer the Dragon, Quercus
I think that it would be sufficiently hard to accidentally press those buttons that it would not be annoying.
Check out my YouTube channels for tool-assisted goodies.
Suuper W, SuuperPR2
(2016-02-15 17:50:20)Tuxi Wrote:
(2016-02-15 14:51:39)FDX3 Wrote:
(2016-02-14 19:33:56)Ringstaart Wrote: There are ways to click links without using the cursor. Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/vimfx/ Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...pepiihcmeb Other browsers: Press tab a few hundred times, then press space
space? wouldn't it be enter? also how can you even "accidentally" press an arrow key? surely that would be rare?
If you want to navigate using only the keyboard then you probably scroll with the up and down arrow keys, which are close to the left and right ones.

Not sure how anyone could prefer that to using the mouse wheel, but if you were scrolling with the arrow keys then you should be in support of this suggestion if anything.
(2016-02-16 00:48:33)FDX3 Wrote: Not sure how anyone could prefer that to using the mouse wheel

I don't have a mouse, or a wheel. I prefer keys over touchpad, that's for sure.
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to aaaaaa123456789 for this post:
  • Alice
How does someone not have a mouse?
Check out my YouTube channels for tool-assisted goodies.
Suuper W, SuuperPR2
(2016-02-16 01:53:18)Suuper Wrote: How does someone not have a mouse?

once one of my classmates ran out of battery for their wireless mouse and they had disabled their touchpad on their laptop because it was a really bad touchpad
[19:15:40] <aaaaaa123456789> don't you dare xD me young man
(2016-02-15 22:02:25)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: I'm thinking that something like ctrl+shift+arrow could work. It's easy to hit ctrl and shift at the same time (heck, even with the same finger); but it's almost impossible to press those keys accidentally. What do you guys think?
I liked skrillys idea of making it an option in the user CP.
(2016-05-09 16:43:03)Ares Wrote: you are making yourself look like moron ares is most knowledgeable on acid forum

I haven't had a mouse since I started using laptops in 2009. I use the touchpad.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to aaaaaa123456789 for this post:
  • Tuxi
(2016-02-16 00:48:33)FDX3 Wrote:
(2016-02-15 14:51:39)FDX3 Wrote: space? wouldn't it be enter? also how can you even "accidentally" press an arrow key? surely that would be rare?
If you want to navigate using only the keyboard then you probably scroll with the up and down arrow keys, which are close to the left and right ones.

Not sure how anyone could prefer that to using the mouse wheel, but if you were scrolling with the arrow keys then you should be in support of this suggestion if anything.

I use the "mouse wheel" on my touchpad, but that's only because arrows are so slow. If they were just as fast I'd prefer to use them.

Also, as ax6, I am a weirdo and use only the touchpad. I've become so used to it now that I prefer it, I even bought a keyboard with one for my desktop.
[Image: tw2m4pN.png] All Hail Shanaroo
(2016-02-16 06:36:29)Tuxi Wrote:
(2016-02-16 00:48:33)FDX3 Wrote:
(2016-02-15 14:51:39)FDX3 Wrote: space? wouldn't it be enter? also how can you even "accidentally" press an arrow key? surely that would be rare?
I use the "mouse wheel" on my touchpad, but that's only because arrows are so slow. If they were just as fast I'd prefer to use them. Also, as ax6, I am a weirdo and use only the touchpad. I've become so used to it now that I prefer it, I even bought a keyboard with one for my desktop.

I actually use the page up and page down keys sometimes to quickly scroll through a page, and it doesn't miss any posts either. Perhaps you should try that.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Immerse for this post:
  • Tuxi
Ctrl + arrow would be cool
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Tebbe for this post:
  • Alice
Yeah, CTRL+Shift+Arrow seems like a little much. I know, it's just an extra button, and doesn't take much focus to press it, but all that's really needed is one of the two, and an arrow key. There still shouldn't be a chance of accidentally pressing CTRL/Shift when navigating a thread.

Alongside that, if possible, there should be the option to toggle on or off keyboard controls.
[Image: Denj139.gif]
(2016-02-18 19:19:30)FDX3 Wrote:
(2016-02-16 06:36:29)Tuxi Wrote:
(2016-02-16 00:48:33)FDX3 Wrote: Not sure how anyone could prefer that to using the mouse wheel, but if you were scrolling with the arrow keys then you should be in support of this suggestion if anything.
I use the "mouse wheel" on my touchpad, but that's only because arrows are so slow. If they were just as fast I'd prefer to use them. Also, as ax6, I am a weirdo and use only the touchpad. I've become so used to it now that I prefer it, I even bought a keyboard with one for my desktop.

I actually use the page up and page down keys sometimes to quickly scroll through a page, and it doesn't miss any posts either. Perhaps you should try that.

Useful, but it feels weird when the top of the post isn't just about on the top of the screen for me :S
(2016-02-18 23:47:34)Skrillisus Wrote: Yeah, CTRL+Shift+Arrow seems like a little much. I know, it's just an extra button, and doesn't take much focus to press it, but all that's really needed is one of the two, and an arrow key. There still shouldn't be a chance of accidentally pressing CTRL/Shift when navigating a thread. Alongside that, if possible, there should be the option to toggle on or off keyboard controls.
(Ctrl+arrow) for previous/next page
(Ctrl+shift+arrow) for first/last page
[Image: tumblr_nddxf2XzYY1tvf9p0o1_400.gif]
Ctrl+shift+right/leftarrow already does something, it selects whole words. Also, you don't often go to first/last page anyway, at least I don't, so I'm not sure if a shortcut for that is very useful.
(2016-02-20 15:26:33)Tuxi Wrote: Ctrl+shift+right/leftarrow already does something, it selects whole words.

So does every combination of keys involving arrows, as long as your focus is on a text field.
This would obviously only apply when your focus is not on it. (Which is why it would take me a while to do it properly.)

Oh, it seems moves the... pointer? by a whole word with control. Alt doesn't seem to do anything to me. And anyway, I didn't check in the quick reply field; ctrl+shift+right/left selects a word at a time in other's texts as well, while just control+right/left does nothing as far as I can tell.

I don't use the trackpack on my laptop unless I need to click a notification, since I've no way to activate those otherwise.

The rest of the time I switch window focus using super+ijkl and workspaces with super+0-9
h
(2016-02-14 19:33:56)Ringstaart Wrote: There are ways to click links without using the cursor. Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/vimfx/ Chrome: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...pepiihcmeb Other browsers: Press tab a few hundred times, then press space

space? wouldn't it be enter?

also how can you even "accidentally" press an arrow key? surely that would be rare?

Yep

I have this problem on imgur ALL OF THE TIME
it's really annoying Confused Sad
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Camer the Dragon for this post:
  • aaaaaa123456789
(2016-02-21 23:49:08)Camer999 Wrote:
space? wouldn't it be enter? also how can you even "accidentally" press an arrow key? surely that would be rare?
Yep I have this problem on imgur ALL OF THE TIME it's really annoying Confused Sad

How are you even accidentally pressing the left and right arrow keys while only using the up and down arrow keys though? That's what I don't understand.