Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jiggshot
Since most everyone's lost access to the game and I also probably never uploaded that last update, I'm reposting it here!

Game Link [unfinished as ever]: https://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/ab0...86dafea2c4
Old version (no regen) https://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/91f...f6b298e92b

Screenshot

[Image: Idr4wCv.png]
Picture: One of the more merciful scenes you can expect in-game.
General Description
For those unfamiliar with Jiggshot, it's an old project of mine that I never finished. It's a bullet hell game where you fight against some JV-ers (as in members of Jiggmin.com, the old dead forum where most people here migrated from).

This game has 3 difficulties; Easy, Normal and Hard, and you can only play Normal after completing Easy, and play Hard after completing Normal, so it's actually more like 3 sets of levels instead of difficulty choice, especially since enemies get new attacks so it isn't just a harder version of the last time you fight those enemies although the enemies are the same.

The first time you play, you'll play Easy Mode without the game telling you that you're actually playing in Easy and difficulty levels exist, then you complete it (if) and unlock Normal, then unlock Hard (bigger if).

Even though the game features regen now, making it easier, it's still pretty hard, and eventually gets very hard. Difficulty may also not yet be in the proper order especially in Hard Mode.

Current Progress
What's already featured:
- 12 different levels in Easy and Normal Mode
- 10 Hard Mode levels* 7 or 8 are good enough, others need improvement
*Since I was getting tired and lazy when I was making the later Hard Mode enemies, there were less original content in Hard Mode starting from Lighte; each enemy only gets 3 or 4 attack pattern sets with the 1st set being the harder version of Easy Mode's pattern and the 2nd being the sometimes harder version of Normal Mode. So fights may be getting more boring from that point. Ramie's Hard Mode is incomplete and the final boss completely undone.
- Medals system: You get a Gold Medal for winning a level without getting hit, Silver Medal for winning with 3 hits or less, and Bronze for 5 hits or less, and a victory medal for winning with more.
- Background music by my brother

What's not done:
- Ramie 32 and the final boss in Hard Mode
- Hard Mode especially is rather unbalanced, apart from being ridiculously hard it's no longer ridiculously hard due to regen
- Enemies after Dr. Infinity are dull; pretty much Easy and Normal compilation + only one new pattern with few new attacks.
- Dr. Infinity in Hard Mode gets unplayably laggy, much worse than even some other enemies.
- Info and Extras menus are non-existent.
- Option to mute and quality.

Notes:
The game easily gets laggy. This can be reduced quite significantly by lowering quality to Low, by right-clicking, selecting quality then pick Low. The game still lags occasionally though, especially on Hard Mode where the battle is long. I can't really do anything about this, unfortunately.

I don't really know whether I'm going to continue this, the only reason that I may is that because it's so close to completion; although there's still quite a lot of work to be done, the amount of work already done is very big, it'd be a shame to leave this unfinished. But even if I were to continue this I won't be able to do that until my final exams are over.

On another note, if I were to update this MAYBE I should make Hard Mode a little bit more merciful, maybe by adding health powerups mid-game or something.

Oh, also your hitbox is 1 pixel. And some projectiles deal more damage than other ones, usually big ones.

Also apparently the Clear Progress instead brings you to the point where you've unlocked everything in Easy. To actually clear progress, click the Clear Progress button then without doing anything else refresh the webpage.
[-] The following 10 users say Thank You to Verdusk for this post:
  • Camer999, Catch some Zs, DD667, Ilraon, Luna, Nero, Northadox, Tank Titanium, Thales4000, Zelante
I remember this one Smile
I was always rubbish at it! Tongue
Oh this game! Been waiting for years to play this again.
I can't let this game go, especially since I had a hand in its development.

Here's some of the stuff I came up with for the game:

Rough drafts of the Lighte thing back when I was young and full of ardor hope and zest.

[Image: LKsV6KS.png]

[Image: Nhw40zO.png]

Rough draft of the Tommygun Dannygun fight.
It was originally supposed to be some Ikaruga-type shiez, but Verdusk had other plans.

[Image: 8F10wK8.png]

Finally, there's this thing that was meant for hard mode where if you take me down to half my health, I transform into some crazy demon zombie dragon monster thing. Yeah, I know how hard it is to code games so I wouldn't blame Verdusk for stuffing in every single one of my crazy and outlandish ideas into this game.

[Image: vw5ocqi.png]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Tank Titanium for this post:
  • Ilraon
I remember this game
[Image: 5UHKsKn.png]
I can't believe I got put into the game. My edgy original character was definitely something. Currently playing through it now, I'll see if I can survive.
Oh yeah I beat every boss on normal....wish I had the screenshots to prove it ;-;

Seriously though, nice work verudusk it was pretty well made. Especially for one of your first proper games.
[Image: signature_2017_feb_by_playerzed-db06m6e.png]
Zero club member: Sniper
JV Touhou!

i like how it has the DJ Nero/winter clothing design instead of the regular hoodie
[Image: vIDUdv3.png]
I find it a lot easier now that I've played bits of Realm of the Mad God.

I can't do Dr Infinity, the game gets extremely laggy every time the laser bots appear.
finally i will beat my cringy oc
(2016-03-04 10:47:33)Ilraon Wrote: I find it a lot easier now that I've played bits of Realm of the Mad God.

I can't do Dr Infinity, the game gets extremely laggy every time the laser bots appear.

All according to Keikaku
[Image: 5UHKsKn.png]
(2016-03-04 10:47:33)Ilraon Wrote: I can't do Dr Infinity, the game gets extremely laggy every time the laser bots appear.

that's just the fabric of spacetime slowing down. timeywimey stuff. it's a feature.
[Image: vIDUdv3.png]
So lately Tank reminded me of the existence of this game, which naturally caused me to play through the game again. This led me to do a small update today.

https://www.newgrounds.com/dump/item/266...0a6adfe57a

Firstly, Dr. Infinity's laser hovertanks are changed; there are less of them now, but they shoot much more often and much faster. (tip: go cross them right after they shoot, since it's hard to predict when exactly they shoot next because they're so fast) His "crossbeam" projectile in his last phase of Hard Mode is also made cooler.

Most importantly, you have regen now, which makes the game, especially the long battles in Hard Mode a lot easier than before, though still not easy.

Your HP is reduced to 80 from 100, but you get approximately 10 HP per 30 seconds. (10 is the damage of most small projectiles, some bigger ones are 20, few are even more, and colliding with the boss is 25 damage)

This encourages you to not get too frustrated and restart when you get hit early in the game, and makes the Hard Mode much more winnable than before, and less frustrating. Easy and Normal Mode also gets easier as you eventually have up to much more total HP than before.

The medal system has been appropriately changed to fit the regen: you get medals based on how many times you get hit instead of remaining HP.
No hits: Gold Medal
~3 hits: Silver Medal
~5 hits: Bronze Medal
5~ hits (simply winning): "Victory Medal"

Tell me what you think of the new regen system, do you think it should be slower or good as it is? Should the player have less HP?

Or do you think the new less HP but has regen thing should only be for Hard Mode? I'm seriously considering this too.
I don't have a sicknature
YouTube (original music) | Newgrounds (games)
New update with video!

With the recent Jiggshot update adding regen for the player, Hard Mode becomes a lot more playable than ridiculously difficult.

I've said before that the later Hard enemies are a bit boring and lack patterns. Mr. Black and Mr. White has like 5 patterns featuring new bullets, but the later ones have like 3.

I was changing the HP limits that triggers pattern changes when I noticed it seemed a bit off, but today I ended up updating Tank Titanium in Hard Mode.

He previously only has 1 full pattern and 3 other patterns that only consist of one simple continuous attack, despite having a lot of HP, so the battle was rather monotonous. I've added another full pattern to fix this, reintroducing sideblazer projectiles from Normal Mode (which TT didn't use in Hard Mode before this change!), making him use it in a much devastating manner and even combining it with other projectiles. The new pattern consists of 2 attacks which are tricky to deal with.

Fireballs spawned by sideblazers are now darker to distinguish it from normal fireballs, which helps a lot in the 2nd attack of the new pattern where they only move horizontally while normal fireballs spread everywhere.

The new pattern is at 1:33, but make sure you also see 4:25 if you haven't seen that yet.

I don't have a sicknature
YouTube (original music) | Newgrounds (games)
(2018-01-08 21:33:36)Verdusk Wrote: New update with video!

With the recent Jiggshot update adding regen for the player, Hard Mode becomes a lot more playable than ridiculously difficult.

I've said before that the later Hard enemies are a bit boring and lack patterns. Mr. Black and Mr. White has like 5 patterns featuring new bullets, but the later ones have like 3.

I was changing the HP limits that triggers pattern changes when I noticed it seemed a bit off, but today I ended up updating Tank Titanium in Hard Mode.

He previously only has 1 full pattern and 3 other patterns that only consist of one simple continuous attack, despite having a lot of HP, so the battle was rather monotonous. I've added another full pattern to fix this, reintroducing sideblazer projectiles from Normal Mode (which TT didn't use in Hard Mode before this change!), making him use it in a much devastating manner and even combining it with other projectiles. The new pattern consists of 2 attacks which are tricky to deal with.

Fireballs spawned by sideblazers are now darker to distinguish it from normal fireballs, which helps a lot in the 2nd attack of the new pattern where they only move horizontally while normal fireballs spread everywhere.

The new pattern is at 1:33, but make sure you also see 4:25 if you haven't seen that yet.

Holy shoot, you did it... you actually did it! 
I look so vicious in this one, love it!
i tell the jiggs not hot
[Image: dTHYN7f.png]
My government killed a man for no reason. They had no proof he was involved in 9/11 no one even charged him with it. He was never indicted, arrested or tried for the 1998 bombings but was gunned down like a dog in the street. One day we will find out the truth about 9/11.
RIP
-William Connell
oh snap i remember this

did you ever put in a moderator bowl for me? :^)