Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sports and Hobbies Section
(2016-04-09 18:34:51)Captain Skrillbee Wrote:
(2016-04-09 18:31:06)FDX3 Wrote:
(2016-04-09 18:17:46)Captain Skrillbee Wrote:
(2016-04-09 18:13:06)FDX3 Wrote: If I did I've forgotten; what happened?
It was really popular for about 3 weeks. After that, the threads and activity died down dramatically, to the point of almost no new threads or posts. I don't even think that section got more than a few pages in the entire year of its existence.
IIRC it still had a few active threads over time, even up until JV went down (such as the powerlifting thread). Why would it even matter if it's not a very active section? There's already sections here that only have a handful of threads.
I guess we don't really have a problem with an excess of threads right now. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And there never will be
Having such a section is pointless, there aren't enough threads about sports/hobbies. I just counted such threads in the first page of Random Discussions; I came up with a total of 0.
Check out my YouTube channels for tool-assisted goodies.
Suuper W, SuuperPR2
(2016-04-09 18:47:39)Suuper Wrote: Having such a section is pointless, there aren't enough threads about sports/hobbies. I just counted such threads in the first page of Random Discussions; I came up with a total of 0.

No it isn't; if there were a section it would perhaps give people an incentive to make such threads, and besides, it doesn't matter if very few threads are made in it.
(2016-04-09 18:47:39)Suuper Wrote: Having such a section is pointless, there aren't enough threads about sports/hobbies. I just counted such threads in the first page of Random Discussions; I came up with a total of 0.

the technology section is the most dead part of the forums but i bet youd never say that we shouldnt have that section
most of the threads are are just "hey help me troubleshoot this" anyway, not actual discussions
just because you aren't personally interested in anything that would be in a sports/hobbies section doesnt mean there shouldnt be one
[Image: fEVlgeH.jpg]
(9:57:59 PM) Ena: dylan I'll stick my fingers in your butthole
(9:04:27 PM) ITNW: grab my pussy daddy uwu Pontoty 
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to Just Monika. for this post:
  • Camer the Dragon, DD667, Immerse, Podifo, Tebbe, y'a pas moyen
(2016-04-09 18:55:10)FDX3 Wrote:

No it isn't; if there were a section it would perhaps give people an incentive to make such threads, and besides, it doesn't matter if very few threads are made in it.

So just having a section is going to increase the number of threads from 0 to something significant?
Also it does matter how many threads there are; it would be pretty silly to have a lot of sections with only a couple threads each, for example.

(2016-04-09 19:01:53)Star Platinum Wrote:

the technology section is the most dead part of the forums but i bet youd never say that we shouldnt have that section
most of the threads are are just "hey help me troubleshoot this" anyway, not actual discussions
just because you aren't personally interested in anything that would be in a sports/hobbies section doesnt mean there shouldnt be one

27 threads is a lot more than what would be in the Sports and Hobbies section, from what I've seen. Also I don't see your point with "most of the threads are are just "hey help me troubleshoot this" anyway, not actual discussions". How does that make the section more or less valuable, and how does that relate to the proposed section?

Where in my earlier post do you see anything about personal interest? While it's true that I have no personal interest in such a section, my arguments and position would be no different if I did.
Suuper W, SuuperPR2
I think those threads can be made in Random Discussions just fine.
Presuming makes a pres out of you and me.
On page 2 you have frog fitness and school mascots.

In thechnology and computers there are only 2 threads that have been posted in during the last 30 days.
Maybe we just make one just in case

what harm would having a near-dead section do
seriously

it's not like you have to acknowledge its existence if you don't want to :p
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Camer the Dragon for this post:
  • Milkmann
(2016-04-09 19:51:31)Suuper Wrote: So just having a section is going to increase the number of threads from 0 to something significant?

Possibly, yes.

(2016-04-09 19:51:31)Suuper Wrote: Also it does matter how many threads there are; it would be pretty silly to have a lot of sections with only a couple threads each, for example.

The total threads could increase over time.

(2016-04-09 19:51:31)Suuper Wrote: 27 threads is a lot more than what would be in the Sports and Hobbies section, from what I've seen.

Again, if there were a section dedicated to sports and hobbies, it may give people an incentive to make threads relative to that section.

(2016-04-09 20:05:52)Hipponator Wrote: I think those threads can be made in Random Discussions just fine.

The same could be said for threads in the General Gaming, Music, and Technology and Computers sections.
(2016-04-09 20:26:55)Camer999 Wrote: Maybe we just make one just in case

seriously

If you browse the forums by actually visiting various sections, then its existence does matter.

(2016-04-09 21:32:24)FDX3 Wrote:
(2016-04-09 19:51:31)Suuper Wrote: Also it does matter how many threads there are; it would be pretty silly to have a lot of sections with only a couple threads each, for example.
The total threads could increase over time.
Still, having only one or two active threads at a time would make it pretty much useless.

(2016-04-09 19:51:31)Suuper Wrote: 27 threads is a lot more than what would be in the Sports and Hobbies section, from what I've seen.
Again, if there were a section dedicated to sports and hobbies, it may give people an incentive to make threads relative to that section.
One that will quickly die (just as it did on JV), leaving us with a new dead section. I'm also not seeing much enthusiasm for the proposed section, which makes me doubt there would even be much initial interest.

(2016-04-09 20:05:52)Hipponator Wrote: I think those threads can be made in Random Discussions just fine.
The same could be said for threads in the General Gaming, Music, and Technology and Computers sections.
Correct. (Actually, moving threads from say the General Gaming section to Random Discussions wouldn't make sense given that we have another gaming section; it would be better to move them to Games.) Some of the least active sections on AF are already borderline useless. I doubt many would care very much if one or two of them were merged with another.
Suuper W, SuuperPR2
(2016-04-09 22:06:33)Suuper Wrote:
(2016-04-09 20:26:55)Camer999 Wrote: Maybe we just make one just in case

seriously

If you browse the forums by actually visiting various sections, then its existence does matter.

just note it as dead/inactive and don't visit that section again
It ultimately comes down to this: will the section have continued activity? Do you expect it to show up in the monthly stats as having at least around 1% of the threads in most months?
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
+1 suppoot
Remember how this turned out on JV? We, myself included, thought a section for it would be great and active... On the contrary, barely any threads were posted in it and it remained dead for quite a period of time.

Now that the community is even smaller on AF, I don't think it would be a good idea to devote a whole section to it.

Buuuuuut, the difference between AF and JV is that we have an active Administrator. So, I don't see the harm in trying it out and if it really is useless, ax6 can just move the threads and remove the section.

• єиα •
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Ena for this post:
  • Alice, Camer the Dragon
it will have 2 threads no thanks
Maybe it was tabletennis before.
But I don't have any hobbies after the physical test.
Just put the "Sports and Hobbies" in Random Discussions. It will be the same as JV: people post so much support for one (including spamming sports threads for the sake of it), get one, use it for about a week or two, and then forget about it.
[Image: ebvLbre.jpg]
Thats like RD
Not needed
[Image: Pt441jt.jpg?1]
(2016-04-10 01:52:56)Uptight 534 Wrote: Just put the "Sports and Hobbies" in Random Discussions. It will be the same as JV: people post so much support for one (including spamming sports threads for the sake of it), get one, use it for about a week or two, and then forget about it.

The thing is sports (at least most) are seasonal, so of course it might seem dead at times. When football season was happening, that fantasy football thread was being blown the fuck up. The World Cup thread was always being posted on. Same with the lifting thread that I think tebbe was mentioning. Olympics are coming up, and I'm sure that would be popular given that the jv thread for the Winter Olympics was
[Image: fEVlgeH.jpg]
(9:57:59 PM) Ena: dylan I'll stick my fingers in your butthole
(9:04:27 PM) ITNW: grab my pussy daddy uwu Pontoty 
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Just Monika. for this post:
  • Immerse, Podifo, Tebbe
(2016-04-09 22:06:33)Suuper Wrote: I'm also not seeing much enthusiasm for the proposed section, which makes me doubt there would even be much initial interest.

Going by the posts in this thread thus far, 7 are in support of it and 7 are against it.

ax6, how about making a poll thread for this just like you did for a PR section?
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Immerse for this post:
  • Camer the Dragon