Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 5 Average
[PR3] Campaign Creation Contest
The Irongrasp Asylum by Vindictive.

It was made for the campaign specifically, because I was bored today, and I intend for it to, if it makes it, be on the latter end of the campaign, as it's a challenging level, somewhat. It is doable with 50-50-50 stats, albeit just about. Let me know if there are any bugs.
[Image: tauros.gif][Image: bouffalant.gif]

(2016-10-22 16:56:23)Tebbeinator Wrote: Are you an authority-holding figure, or is this of your opinion and discretion alone?

Technically I have no authority here, but I would be surprised if Dangevin disagrees with my post. (because that rule does seem self-explanatory for an experienced player like myself)
Check out my YouTube channels for tool-assisted goodies.
Suuper W, SuuperPR2
(2016-10-22 17:39:54)Suuper Wrote:
(2016-10-22 16:56:23)Tebbeinator Wrote: Are you an authority-holding figure, or is this of your opinion and discretion alone?

Technically I have no authority here, but I would be surprised if Dangevin disagrees with my post. (because that rule does seem self-explanatory for an experienced player like myself)

Wry isn't an experienced player?
(2016-10-22 18:13:32)Tebbe Wrote:
(2016-10-22 17:39:54)Suuper Wrote:

Wry sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't know him. Is he tebbeinator? I usually have no idea who people are on PR2/3 here if their usernames don't match.
Suuper W, SuuperPR2
(2016-10-22 18:56:11)Suuper Wrote:
(2016-10-22 18:13:32)Tebbe Wrote:
(2016-10-22 17:39:54)Suuper Wrote: Technically I have no authority here, but I would be surprised if Dangevin disagrees with my post. (because that rule does seem self-explanatory for an experienced player like myself)

Wry sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't know him. Is he tebbeinator? I usually have no idea who people are on PR2/3 here if their usernames don't match.

He was the highest rank a few months ago
(2016-10-22 20:29:19)Tebbe Wrote:
(2016-10-22 18:56:11)Suuper Wrote:
(2016-10-22 18:13:32)Tebbe Wrote: Wry isn't an experienced player?

I see. So is he experienced with racing? From what I've seen you only get to high ranks by spending all your time on deathmatches, which are completely different.
Suuper W, SuuperPR2
(2016-10-22 20:35:26)Suuper Wrote:
(2016-10-22 20:29:19)Tebbe Wrote:
(2016-10-22 18:56:11)Suuper Wrote: Wry sounds vaguely familiar, but I don't know him. Is he tebbeinator? I usually have no idea who people are on PR2/3 here if their usernames don't match.

I see. So is he experienced with racing? From what I've seen you only get to high ranks by spending all your time on deathmatches, which are completely different.

You said experienced player not racer, idk how experienced he is with racing. He is definitly an experienced player tho.
Into the shadows by larsyuipo
[Image: lqSzvV2.gif]
(2016-10-22 20:51:59)Tebbe Wrote:
(2016-10-22 20:35:26)Suuper Wrote:
(2016-10-22 20:29:19)Tebbe Wrote: He was the highest rank a few months ago

You said experienced player not racer, idk how experienced he is with racing. He is definitly an experienced player tho.
Started with pr2, skipped original pr3 (came late to that one).
While originally well-acquainted with racing, as you mentioned, this pr3 is solely fixed on deathmatch, but it does have some (if little) racing maps that are a mix, such as bomb worlds namely.
As such, most of my racing knowledge is derived from pr2, and I was never quite concerned with campaign contests, so I was especially ignorant in that specific instance of race-making.
It should be noted that I was kept ignorant due to the lack of help from Dangevin, who still is yet to make an appearance to enlighten us on the specifics.
However, I fixed the things that violated the definition you provided by additions of nets and net-independent blocks.
(2016-10-22 16:17:50)Suuper Wrote:
(2016-10-22 10:59:37)Tebbeinator Wrote: Somewhere in the middle of this thread, there was also mentioned that it could be of any difficulty;
While the rules dictate that it must be a "traditional race" and "atleast a minute" with no reliance on "item luck", can it consist of a maze/dungeon of experience-based difficulty mingled with skill, whereupon it's easy to fall back at high-risk areas (as an opening to the map, not as the entire map), what qualifies as a traditional race, since you left it vague and you seem to reject based on that notion, giving no indication of what one can do to improve or fit that criteria, can it be significantly over a minute in length, such as spanning 5 minutes easily, unless done flawlessly, and, while it can't have "item luck", can it have "hazard luck" which i seem to be the pioneer of. Also, I hope "hazard luck" is as self-explanatory as you seem to think the term "traditional race" is.

~Yours Truly,
The master of pr3 entropy.

P.S. What is the openness to suggestions pertaining to the rewards of the contest (as well as the actual rewards), as I seem to vaguely recall an exp reward for Ilraon's earlier contest, but then again, I might be mistaken.
P.S.S. Luck refers to time and place rather than the contents in regards to "hazard luck".
Additionally, it is fixed, rather than merely a hurt move block on random.

This is an good point. The rule that level must be a "traditional race" means that it would not be normally placed under another category of level. For example lots of people like to make trap levels. The level also cannot be a 'frust'. So having a maze element is fine, however I would discourage having sections which send you backwards in the level for failing. This is the main idea of a frust level and can be quite annoying when racing or speedrunning.
So it need not be a traditional level in terms of style or feel, but should be friendly towards single-player racing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hazard luck". If you mean sections where true luck is a part of the course, then that should be avoided. (true luck should be impossible, but sadly it is not because of the variable frame rate on PR3 and related bugs) If you just mean moving blocks or change blocks those are generally fine, since they move and change the same way every time you play.

Suuper is correct about this. It has to be the traditional sense of a race (like point A to point B) rather than having it merely focus on the aspects of a Frustration level, or a Trap level.

As far as the qualifications go, each item box has to have 1 particular item set on it (so only super jump for an example) and there is nothing indicating in the rules that there is an issue with "hazard luck" so just be wary that the idea of it could hold the level back if not done correctly. Feel free to make a maze-like level, as the idea and genre of the level doesn't seem to break any rules since a maze is just finding your way from point A to point B.

(2016-10-23 19:20:43)Tebbeinator Wrote:
(2016-10-22 20:51:59)Tebbe Wrote:
(2016-10-22 20:35:26)Suuper Wrote: I see. So is he experienced with racing? From what I've seen you only get to high ranks by spending all your time on deathmatches, which are completely different.

While originally well-acquainted with racing, as you mentioned, this pr3 is solely fixed on deathmatch, but it does have some (if little) racing maps that are a mix, such as bomb worlds namely.
As such, most of my racing knowledge is derived from pr2, and I was never quite concerned with campaign contests, so I was especially ignorant in that specific instance of race-making.
It should be noted that I was kept ignorant due to the lack of help from Dangevin, who still is yet to make an appearance to enlighten us on the specifics.
However, I fixed the things that violated the definition you provided by additions of nets and net-independent blocks.

If you are Wry, it is since you made false claims that I was racist since I did not want to play your level at the time. I would be more than happy to help if you wouldn't bash me for something as little and unimportant as not playing your level at a specific time. Since your level is submitted I will be playing it when we start judging levels, so no need to continue with the slander against my username.
Where is the line between a frust and a race?
(2016-10-24 03:24:36)Tebbe Wrote: Where is the line between a frust and a race?

I think depends on the length of the level vs the length of the frustrating section(s). Take Welcome to Windows 95 for example, instead of the whole level being "frust" themed, only a small section in the middle has some mild vanish jumping with a checkpoint. Even that comes close to the line in my opinion.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Cade642 for this post:
  • Dangevin
(2016-10-23 22:57:00)Dangevin Wrote:
(2016-10-22 16:17:50)Suuper Wrote:
(2016-10-22 10:59:37)Tebbeinator Wrote: Somewhere in the middle of this thread, there was also mentioned that it could be of any difficulty;
While the rules dictate that it must be a "traditional race" and "atleast a minute" with no reliance on "item luck", can it consist of a maze/dungeon of experience-based difficulty mingled with skill, whereupon it's easy to fall back at high-risk areas (as an opening to the map, not as the entire map), what qualifies as a traditional race, since you left it vague and you seem to reject based on that notion, giving no indication of what one can do to improve or fit that criteria, can it be significantly over a minute in length, such as spanning 5 minutes easily, unless done flawlessly, and, while it can't have "item luck", can it have "hazard luck" which i seem to be the pioneer of. Also, I hope "hazard luck" is as self-explanatory as you seem to think the term "traditional race" is.

~Yours Truly,
The master of pr3 entropy.

P.S. What is the openness to suggestions pertaining to the rewards of the contest (as well as the actual rewards), as I seem to vaguely recall an exp reward for Ilraon's earlier contest, but then again, I might be mistaken.
P.S.S. Luck refers to time and place rather than the contents in regards to "hazard luck".
Additionally, it is fixed, rather than merely a hurt move block on random.

This is an good point. The rule that level must be a "traditional race" means that it would not be normally placed under another category of level. For example lots of people like to make trap levels. The level also cannot be a 'frust'. So having a maze element is fine, however I would discourage having sections which send you backwards in the level for failing. This is the main idea of a frust level and can be quite annoying when racing or speedrunning.
So it need not be a traditional level in terms of style or feel, but should be friendly towards single-player racing.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hazard luck". If you mean sections where true luck is a part of the course, then that should be avoided. (true luck should be impossible, but sadly it is not because of the variable frame rate on PR3 and related bugs) If you just mean moving blocks or change blocks those are generally fine, since they move and change the same way every time you play.

Suuper is correct about this. It has to be the traditional sense of a race (like point A to point B) rather than having it merely focus on the aspects of a Frustration level, or a Trap level.

As far as the qualifications go, each item box has to have 1 particular item set on it (so only super jump for an example) and there is nothing indicating in the rules that there is an issue with "hazard luck" so just be wary that the idea of it could hold the level back if not done correctly. Feel free to make a maze-like level, as the idea and genre of the level doesn't seem to break any rules since a maze is just finding your way from point A to point B.

(2016-10-23 19:20:43)Tebbeinator Wrote:
(2016-10-22 20:51:59)Tebbe Wrote: You said experienced player not racer, idk how experienced he is with racing. He is definitly an experienced player tho.

If you are Wry, it is since you made false claims that I was racist since I did not want to play your level at the time. I would be more than happy to help if you wouldn't bash me for something as little and unimportant as not playing your level at a specific time. Since your level is submitted I will be playing it when we start judging levels, so no need to continue with the slander against my username.
I wouldn't have had a problem should you not make excuses on the spot and in no short supply in regards to why you couldn't play the level; and if you never saw the level, how could suggestions be made for contouring it to the standards, might I ask?
In regards to the racism comment, which you take out of context, it was spurred by your assumption that since it had the word "pencil" in it, that it was a deathmatch, and that furthermore it can't be a viable submission as it was not a race map.

If your style to actually manage and aid in the quality the contest is to wait until the last day and then agree with a zealous pr3 player as your form of management, then we clearly are divided on how to conduct this. This is further aggregated when you come on multiple times and completely ignore the asks for advice on the campaign contest. Your professionality is also at issue when you actually are noted to have said that you hated me while I was actually asking what modifications were needed to make it a "traditional race". It took well over 10 minutes of arguing just to get you to say what qualifies as a "trap level". As said earlier, something is clearly wrong in one of our point of views on how to conduct this affair.

P.S. Saying that the reasoning was that I called you racist wouldn't account for the reasoning before that, unless you're to imply that I came over to you and started it out like "hey racist guy, come check out my map and tell me if it needs changes".
Submission:
The Effigy of Lord Effulgence
By: WryChaos
Background information:
Commisioned by Lord Effulgence himself, it superficially was to glorify his reign. In reality, it served as the nations foremost torture chamber. After the uprising, it lay abandoned. This leaves you two options: Liberty or death.

img]http://i.imgur.com/44xwzlV.jpg[/img]

Additional information, reasoning:
As one can see by looking at the minimap, or that screenshot above, which as I realize has no actual influence on the choosing of the map, one can construe a form of a presumably prestigious figure marked quite literally by the remains of his work. It serves quite nicely as a metaphor for the reign of this fictional character, and for the occurrence of the uprising itself. As Dangevin also was inclined to forge a backstory and draw a creature in his submission, I assume that he will appreciate this, even if he has admitted to hating me, personally.
Additional reasoning:
It should be clearly known that this pr3 is of deathmatch-intent to the supreme. After getting gold, it is very unlikely that these maps shall be played again, save the occasional host by the creator. I intend to make this worth its while, simply said.
Confession:
I would've put more information, but i reached too many characters (in the map description).
I can't speak much for PR3 but as far as I know Dangevin is one of the most well placed person to runt this thing. I don't know exactly how many each one of us judged and reviewed in 2 years of Level of the Week on PR2, but he certainly had close to 1,000 if not more. He will be able to tell if a level is suitable or not, no need to start doubting or criticizing the hostage and/or judging of this contest before it actually begins.
[Image: 444709LunaSig.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Luna for this post:
  • John3, _duam_
(2016-10-24 19:45:57)Tebbeinator Wrote: then agree with a zealous pr3 player

How is agreeing with my interpretation of his rules a bad thing?
Also I'm not a "zealous pr3 player". I haven't even logged in for months.
Suuper W, SuuperPR2
(2016-10-24 21:12:26)Suuper Wrote:

Zealous pr3-associated personnel, of or relating to pr3 (as testament to this, refer to the pages of this page to see how you've done Dangevin's job by actually helping people with the contest).
Your interpretation is by no means bad, nor was it intended to be taken as such, but it makes Dangevin look bad. That is, he hasn't helped in the least bit while you, who actually make it even more impressive by saying you haven't played pr3 for months, acclimate impressive knowledge on the subject that will beneficially influence the quality of the maps you helped answer questions about. To summarize, Dangevin has been useless in the matters he is to be specifically in charge of, and has done a horrible job in clarifaction of his rules, and that you, Suuper, are amazing.
(2016-10-24 19:45:57)Tebbeinator Wrote: I wouldn't have had a problem should you not make excuses on the spot and in no short supply in regards to why you couldn't play the level; and if you never saw the level, how could suggestions be made for contouring it to the standards, might I ask?
In regards to the racism comment, which you take out of context, it was spurred by your assumption that since it had the word "pencil" in it, that it was a deathmatch, and that furthermore it can't be a viable submission as it was not a race map.

If your style to actually manage and aid in the quality the contest is to wait until the last day and then agree with a zealous pr3 player as your form of management, then we clearly are divided on how to conduct this. This is further aggregated when you come on multiple times and completely ignore the asks for advice on the campaign contest. Your professionality is also at issue when you actually are noted to have said that you hated me while I was actually asking what modifications were needed to make it a "traditional race". It took well over 10 minutes of arguing just to get you to say what qualifies as a "trap level". As said earlier, something is clearly wrong in one of our point of views on how to conduct this affair.

P.S. Saying that the reasoning was that I called you racist wouldn't account for the reasoning before that, unless you're to imply that I came over to you and started it out like "hey racist guy, come check out my map and tell me if it needs changes".

I should not be forced to play a level in my free time just because it was submitted for the contest. It's like having someone ask me to play traps on Platform Racing 2 and refusing to play it since I'm in the mood for normal races. Is that hard to understand? It had nothing to do with you or your level until you started harassing me about it and calling me a "pencil racist" and then a normal "racist" followed by calling me unfit for the Campaign Manager position. Then you threatened me that you would rate my level lower if I didn't play your level at that very moment. Also, by arguing you mean harassing me constantly and not understanding my point of view? I repeatedly made the same points as of why your level wasn't qualified after playing it through once and getting trapped. Why should I have to explain the qualities of a trap level or what makes a trap? If you get trapped, you get trapped meaning you cannot progress or move anymore.

If you had a person constantly arguing with you over things that are little of importance while getting threatened by it, wouldn't you dislike the person as well? I'd like to be honest with people when talking with them, and I will straight up tell you if I dislike you. Also, keep in mind, I want to give my thoughts on levels for improvement when I'm actually judging them, and the judging stage starts this upcoming week. So when people ask me for suggestions on their level, I say "You'll see!" since I actually will be judging them and giving my professional opinion when the time comes. Don't get me wrong, I sometimes help people out when I want to, but I'm also not obligated to do it every time. Also, it is not up to me to decide how the level works since it is not my level. I can make suggestions and maybe influence their decision making, but sometimes I might have the wrong ideas and lead them in the wrong direction. 

My job as the Campaign Manager is to seek levels that suit fit for the campaign as well as find medal times for the selected levels. My job is not helping people out with their submissions but I do help when I see fit.

(2016-10-24 22:19:53)Tebbeinator Wrote:

Zealous pr3-associated personnel, of or relating to pr3 (as testament to this, refer to the pages of this page to see how you've done Dangevin's job by actually helping people with the contest).
Your interpretation is by no means bad, nor was it intended to be taken as such, but it makes Dangevin look bad. That is, he hasn't helped in the least bit while you, who actually make it even more impressive by saying you haven't played pr3 for months, acclimate impressive knowledge on the subject that will beneficially influence the quality of the maps you helped answer questions about. To summarize, Dangevin has been useless in the matters he is to be specifically in charge of, and has done a horrible job in clarifaction of his rules, and that you, Suuper, are amazing.

I am sure this is an unpopular opinion. If you took the time to get an unbiased view of what I may do and look at the actions I actually perform, you would see that I tend to help out when I'm available. I don't respond to every question I get since I cannot be on Platform Racing 3 or Acidchat Forums all the time as an active participant. Also, I have faith in those that comment and help others out. If they answer a question like "what do you mean by a traditional race nomination?" and get it right, then why should I respond in general? Personally I could see myself maybe updating the rules a bit, but to make each rule very, VERY specific makes it tough when there's a level or submission that scratches the surface and might actually seem like an illegitimate submission. I am all for improving, but claiming I am the worst decision for this is insulting and not very influential in helping me build as a Campaign Manager.

Anyway, I'd like to thank anyone that's helped a member with a question regarding the competition. Along with that, I'd like to thank everyone for having an argument about how levels/submissions may work. It enlightens me with some serious decision making for each upcoming Phase!
(2016-10-24 22:19:53)Tebbeinator Wrote:

Did Dangevin evade answering your post about what qualifies as a race? No, he responded to it properly. Someone else seeing and responding to it before him does not reflect anything on Dangevin.

Also please take any further discussion about Dangevin to VMs or PMs.
Suuper W, SuuperPR2
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Suuper for this post:
  • Dangevin
(2016-10-24 12:38:26)Cade642 Wrote:
(2016-10-24 03:24:36)Tebbe Wrote: Where is the line between a frust and a race?

I think depends on the length of the level vs the length of the frustrating section(s). Take Welcome to Windows 95 for example, instead of the whole level being "frust" themed, only a small section in the middle has some mild vanish jumping with a checkpoint. Even that comes close to the line in my opinion.

When exactly is the livestream and will it be verbally commentated?

I feel honored for my level being mentioned.
See, it's about the level having scaling difficulty. That's important, I think. The level itself is pretty challenging and requires pretty high level play to get a good time on it. I think
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Northadox for this post:
  • Dangevin