Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What do you think about music elitism?
Music elitism is prevalent in our world today (and that sounds much more dramatic than I intended). Head on almost any music video on Youtube, or any discussion elsewhere, and you'll find people touting their preferred music as the master race. And of course, this means that the music that you listen to is trash.

I've often wondered why people think this way. Surely there is a good deal of interesting music out there, right? Great music transcends genres, or at least you would think, or hope, it does. Yet there always comes a time when the music that you enjoy listening to is thrown under the bus for x, y, or z.

What do you think about music elitism? And, that said, why not say what your favorite music is?
[Image: Denj139.gif]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Alice for this post:
  • Matt
If great music transcends genres that means that there haven't been any great pop or rap songs
It triggers me so much when I see an artist or band try out a different genre and getting bashed to shit in comments because they used to make something different. Most of the time it isn't even way different, they just made something a little softer or a little harder. I'm a fan of Headhunterz. He used to be the most known name in the hardstyle scene and made hardstyle for years and years. At a certain point he slowly transitioned into big room house and more recently even some future bass, yet there are still people in comment sections complaining about how he left hardstyle when it has been around 3 years by now. There's plenty of other good hardstyle DJ's to listen to, if you don't like HHZ's music anymore, just go listen to some other artist instead
Working on a better future
[Image: WkuV46j.png]
All kinds of shitty music: https://soundcloud.com/jomumusic
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to Dootany for this post:
  • Alice, cute, Dangevin, Henchai, Quercus, Roflkoy
I might come off as an elitist but I'm actually not. I just explain why I prefer one genre of music over another. They are my opinions, everyone is entitled to one. So you dont HAVE to agree with what i think, you are all youre own person. You can make your own reasons why you like a genre over another as long as it is mature and valid.

With that being said, I admit I usually only shittalk slipknot and mallcore fans just because they think they're music is better than they think it is and it is ky way of trying to calm them down
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to GodJob for this post:
  • Ilraon, Zeri
music elitism is good and it is necessary to make music great again. fuck edm shit, it is not real music.
[Image: dTHYN7f.png]
My government killed a man for no reason. They had no proof he was involved in 9/11 no one even charged him with it. He was never indicted, arrested or tried for the 1998 bombings but was gunned down like a dog in the street. One day we will find out the truth about 9/11.
RIP
-William Connell
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Big Money Salvia for this post:
  • Saurus
One, I think if you're going to judge someone based on musical tastes that they themselves enjoy, that's generally a shitty thing to do. No one says you have to like it, but at least respect that the other person does. They could just as easily judge you for liking something different too. That doesn't apply to just music either, it applies in a general sense.

However, I REALLY don't like it when people try to say that an artist/musician should stay locked into doing only one style of music. As if they aren't allowed to branch out or try new things. That's just being disrespectful to them. It doesn't mean you have to enjoy it, if you only enjoy a specific genre and the artist changes and wants to try something else, you don't have to like it. Just at least respect and appreciate the fact that they are a musician who wants to expand, experiment, and through that maybe even improve on their passion and craft as a whole.

Although, there are times when a producer (or 20 producers)/record label will want an artist to change their sound for the sake of sales...that's also shitty and disrespectful to the musician, but it is called the music business for a reason.

Also, I'm generally a rock/metal guy, but I'm not opposed to listening to anything. I've lately been trying to write whole instrumentals in different styles as well.
Some music is better than others. However, you can't insult someone or blame someone for liking something different.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Nagato for this post:
  • Alice
(2016-12-16 19:34:44)Castrater Wrote: I might come off as an elitist but I'm actually not. I just explain why I prefer one genre of music over another. They are my opinions, everyone is entitled to one. So you dont HAVE to agree with what i think, you are all youre own person. You can make your own reasons why you like a genre over another as long as it is mature and valid.

With that being said, I admit I usually only shittalk slipknot and mallcore fans just because they think they're music is better than they think it is and it is ky way of trying to calm them down

I was just bustin ur balls bro not being serious

You taught me love, you taught me life, you taught me yemlo.

x
Elitism doesn't really bother me, it's the trash talking that follows it which does. It's fine for people to think their music is better than the rest. Likewise, it's fine for people to think other music is trash. What's unnecessary is for people to get heated over what they like/dislike. That's silly. People have preferences and that's okay.

I don't agree with the notion of "great music transcending genre". No matter how much I listen to certain types of music, I just cannot enjoy them. I dislike the styles that certain genres use.
[Image: bK0fXcP.png]     [Image: 8AA95tF.png][Image: l8oCiLg.png][Image: uDkYIkQ.png]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Camellia for this post:
  • Nagato
I'm a music elitist because I think all music is great. Every genre is different in mood and sound, whether if it's musically technical or not.

If you think music is trash your trash.
random Sig
i'm fine with any kind of music, (though i wouldn't listen to most of it) what i grit my teeth at is faux-artsy music that pretends to have some kind of deep edge to it when it's really just pandering scene hipster trash. (see: indie music) feldman 4 lyff bois
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Patriotic Nigra for this post:
  • Alice
I never take people who say that sort of stuff seriously, because what music appeals to you or is "the best" is entirely subjective.
What those comments mean to me is just that they prefer x over y, I don't take it as a scientific determination that one genre is better than another.

For example, as I've stated before, metal music is the best when I want to do math. Someone else might disagree with me because they find it distracting and therefore counter-productive. It's based on the individual.

• єиα •
top 5 rappers

nas
pac
biggie
big L
eazy e

**** that future mumble rap shit
To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Rick and Morty. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also Rick’s nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who dislike Rick & Morty truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in Rick’s existential catchphrase “Wubba Lubba Dub Dub,” which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev’s Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Dan Harmon’s genius wit unfolds itself on their television screens. What fools.. how I pity them. ?