Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Emojis?
Emojis do not work on this forum, and when using them in a post they will be replaced with question marks instead, like this: ?

This seems to be because the forums don't support any character outside of the first 216 characters of Unicode, called Plane 0 or the Basic Multilingual Plane. As most emojis are in Plane 1, the forum will not accept them.

There have been suggestions of adding popular emojis in the Adding new emotes thread, but to me it seems like it would make more sense to make it possible to add them in your post as normal Unicode characters instead. I've got no idea how difficult that would be, but there's the suggestion.
[Image: tw2m4pN.png] All Hail Shanaroo
It can be done:
https://community.mybb.com/thread-131120.html
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Ringstaart for this post:
  • Kyukon, Tuxi
this forum is basically people asking for stuff and ax6 being too busy to add them =)
"Get this quote on someone's signature" ~ASDruska
(2017-03-26 17:57:36)Ringstaart Wrote: It can be done:
https://community.mybb.com/thread-131120.html

I have no idea what this thread is saying but anything related to getting emoji support on this forum is good in my book
[19:15:40] <aaaaaa123456789> don't you dare xD me young man
Never gonna happen, man. We need to run away from acid ASAP clearly.

Because fuck emojis. Tongue
What that is saying is "if you shit all over the database, edit the code in obscure places and change very critical functions, then maybe you'll get this to work cleanly".
Which is a stupid idea, because this is purely a presentation issue.

A much better way of getting them to work would be to encode them and decode them. That way nothing works improperly.

However, this doesn't get past the main issue with adding emojis just about anywhere: most people can't see them. It's very unlikely that someone browsing the forums via their computer will be able to see most emojis out there; fonts don't have them for the most part. In fact, most fonts people regularly use don't have anything at all outside the BMP.
This is made even worse by the fact that people who do have them will see vastly different things, because emojis are actually just text, and thus fonts can render them very differently without breaking compliance. Which is something most people don't expect — not too long ago someone posted an article about how many people see Apple's rendering of emojis as a standard (which it isn't by any means). This incorrect assumption is certainly not shared by font makers, and thus emojis look very different in every platform.

Basically, the main issues with this idea are not on our side, and thus can't be solved by adding anything to the forums.
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to aaaaaa123456789 for this post:
  • Mija, Z3D
(2017-03-26 22:36:03)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: However, this doesn't get past the main issue with adding emojis just about anywhere: most people can't see them. It's very unlikely that someone browsing the forums via their computer will be able to see most emojis out there; fonts don't have them for the most part. In fact, most fonts people regularly use don't have anything at all outside the BMP.

Every modern browser on desktops handles font fallbacks and emoji handling( even internet explorer...), and iirc windows 7 and above all have window's emoji fonts from windows update. OS X users have Apple's emoji on every version of their OS under the sun (and they stay updated), and on linux, symbola has most emoji symbols in it (it occasionally lags behind the Unicode spec a bit). If that bothers you, you can just install whatever package your distro has for MS fonts / twitter emojis / whatever. Hell, even my fucking terminal emulator handles emojis.

I have 4 computers:
* an old laptop running windows 7, that I use for hosting some windows binary servers for games;
* an old macbook air, dualbooting arch linux, on some outdated version of OS X
* my linux laptop with fucking gentoo,
* my desktop with a linux/windows dualboot

I have a few old phones, as well, running versions of android dating back to 4.0. All of those support varying numbers of emoji, depending on what font they have that handles it.

I don't disagree that it'll take effort to get emojis to work on the forum. But it's kinda pure bullshit that "most people can't see them". If you look at most browser share stats, the vast majority of browsers in use are standard, recent browsers that will far and wide support emojis, even on older systems.

If it really bothers you, you could implement something like twemoji for the client decoding
h
Do you really want emojis?
[Image: signature_2017_feb_by_playerzed-db06m6e.png]
Zero club member: Sniper
(2017-03-30 08:06:23)Nighte Wrote: Do you really want emojis?

yes
[Image: Pf3vCgU.gif]
explain how i can socialize with people (preferably females aged 16-27) using specific cell phone apps or any cell phone related methods.