Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
What makes a 'good forum'?
I always see a bunch of Acid-goers commenting how shit the community is, and even when JV was around people commented on how garbage that forum was.

So my question is; What makes a good forum in your opinion?
A good forum has both serious discussions but also light-hearted ones. There's a place to have fun and a place to talk. The community needs to have different views, but not too many outliers; if a forum has too different personalities in it, they can clash. Moderation needs to be good but not ruin discussions or be too strict; a little heated discussion or some trash talk should be allowed.
It's best if a forum has a certain purpose or common denominator (idk if that's the right word). Reddit is kind of a forum and has specific subreddits for all kinds of topics, which works well. For JV, it were the Platform Racing games at the start, at the end it was a little more spread between people wanting to discuss things with people of their age group, have some fun in forum games or share music and art in the sections for it.

I don't personally think this forum is trash, it's just that we aren't that big, people are mostly here to turn off their mind a bit I think and it's fine for that.
Working on a better future
[Image: WkuV46j.png]
All kinds of shitty music: https://soundcloud.com/jomumusic
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Dootany for this post:
  • SouthAnd960
I think a forum is all good when it is small. You are familiar with all the members unlike in large forums, where you know only a few people. Also, like Dutany said, the forum should contain both serious and light hearted discussions and the rules of the forum shouldn't be that strict.
Right wing
This would probably be a good community if it wasn't the intellectual equivalent of a watercress sandwich.

[Image: hu6NQNQXTzW2KXciAko9Xg.png]

Plus we have tebbe politicising every thread and Proclifo trying to stuff as much shitposting in as he possible can. In effect the traffic here is so low that the common voice has been entirely overpowered by total wank.
I've been to other forums and they aren't nearly as unpleasant, the only remaining reason I have to visit here is nostalgia.
[Image: AzK9VRX.png]
[-] The following 8 users say Thank You to PooZy for this post:
  • Alice, DD667, Immerse, John3, ProClifo, Tintin, y'a pas moyen, Zee
A forum is good in my eyes when identities aren't known, people are mostly known solely by their raw discussions, actions, or creations, and there are little limitations preventing from having these ideas left out. When identities aren't known, people get quite comfortable with each other, isolating themselves from contrasting opinions and choices, eventually leading to the shrinkage and decay of a community. When the focal point of a forum isn't the discussions, but the people themselves, what else is there to talk about and do besides jack off each other? When there are too many limitations on discussion, people will feel constricted on what they could say.

also I don't like the concept of post counts and thanks tbh
What makes a good forum in my opinion: Good discussions, good games, and a good community.
My breakfast is plotting to kill me.

[Image: kFpaVQg.png]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Mystery for this post:
  • SouthAnd960
ax6 not admin
Remember check out my project! http://forums.acidch.at/showthread.php?tid=115

(2015-08-19 09:19:53)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: My next username will be ax6'); DROP DATABASE; --

If you do enjoy minecraft content try out this: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...o57OGMOdCU
[-] The following 8 users say Thank You to Joni for this post:
  • Alice, DD667, dotime, Immerse, John3, lp9, Northadox, PooZy
(2017-07-19 08:54:56)isokissa3 Wrote: ax6 not admin

who would you prefer as Admin? ?
(2017-07-20 04:52:46)Kursed Wrote: who would you prefer as Admin? ?

dotime obviously
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Northadox for this post:
  • dotime, John3, Joni
all was good and well when jiggmin was admin, ax6 is a purr cot s.o.b
[Image: dTHYN7f.png]
My government killed a man for no reason. They had no proof he was involved in 9/11 no one even charged him with it. He was never indicted, arrested or tried for the 1998 bombings but was gunned down like a dog in the street. One day we will find out the truth about 9/11.
RIP
-William Connell
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Big Money Salvia for this post:
  • Ali, Joni
Probably the best "forum" experience I've had was on a free speech activism Facebook group. It had very little admin intervention for some time and basically the only concrete rule was not to dox people. We of course had people spam and be assholes but those things sorted themselves out because the spammers were shamed into stopping.
I don't mind edgy threads, but most of the threads we've had in the last week have been borderline retarded, they're not even funny.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to FinalCheetah for this post:
  • DD667, John3
(2017-07-19 08:21:07)PooZy Wrote: This would probably be a good community if it wasn't the intellectual equivalent of a watercress sandwich.

Plus we have tebbe politicising every thread and Proclifo trying to stuff as much shitposting in as he possible can. In effect the traffic here is so low that the common voice has been entirely overpowered by total wank.
I've been to other forums and they aren't nearly as unpleasant, the only remaining reason I have to visit here is nostalgia.

Honestly I am far from being the number one shitposter. I would give that title to David.
[Image: gWu2Jq2.jpg]
(2017-07-20 18:30:13)David Wrote:
(2017-07-20 17:10:24)FinalCheetah Wrote: I don't mind edgy threads, but most of the threads we've had in the last week have been borderline retarded, they're not even funny.

If they're so bad then why don't you start making some threads
Because I don't see the point in creating intelligent discussion here.
I don't think I always shitpost, sometimes I make meaningful threads like the one about gun education and John McCain has cancer. What really matters is the response I get.
[Image: gWu2Jq2.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to ProClifo for this post:
  • Ali, John3
Sorry for sudden bump, but I think: the liberty to discuss everything we interested in.
A good forum has
- Good Moderation, Strict to the rules but not to the point of ruining reasonable discussions
- A good set of rules
- Not too large (So there's a sense of community)
- Threads for fun and Threads for discussion
- Some central thing to bring people together (e.g. a game or set of them or something else)

(More things I'm not thinking of atm)