Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The End Has Begun
http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1424896

Flash will become officially unsupported as of 2020.

I'm going to miss this game.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Kwing for this post:
  • Jeremiah
[Image: homer-simpson-end-is-near.gif]
Was she reality or just a dream to me

[Image: kFpaVQg.png]
Quote:There is a big question of whether we will be able to preserve the 80,000+ games that were made in Flash. At the least, you could download and play them in an external player but we are hoping to have a solid web-based option by the time 2020 rolls along. Options include javascript that can interpret and run an SWF file, software that can convert existing swf files to javascript or something using WebAssembly, which is still maturing. A lot has been happening in this space but nothing is perfect at the moment.
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
(2017-07-27 04:05:20)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote:
Quote:There is a big question of whether we will be able to preserve the 80,000+ games that were made in Flash. At the least, you could download and play them in an external player but we are hoping to have a solid web-based option by the time 2020 rolls along. Options include javascript that can interpret and run an SWF file, software that can convert existing swf files to javascript or something using WebAssembly, which is still maturing. A lot has been happening in this space but nothing is perfect at the moment.

This seems to be the case only for Newgrounds, yes? Other sites hosting Flash games and the like would need to employ similar tactics, and for some sites that aren't as lively as Newgrounds, they could just end up broken messes when Flash dies.
Such a solution would be applicable to any service hosting .swf files.
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to aaaaaa123456789 for this post:
  • Northadox