Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to install to Ubuntu
Today I've finally owned my own computer and Ubuntu is installed. But I installed when ofline, so I'd like to know what to install to Ubuntu.
Uh... software that you want?
What kind of programs are you looking for? What kind of things do you want to do? I could give you recommendations.

https://alternativeto.net/ is a useful website to find alternatives for software that doesn't run on Linux.
windows 10
[Image: dTHYN7f.png]
My government killed a man for no reason. They had no proof he was involved in 9/11 no one even charged him with it. He was never indicted, arrested or tried for the 1998 bombings but was gunned down like a dog in the street. One day we will find out the truth about 9/11.
RIP
-William Connell
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Big Money Salvia for this post:
  • Mystery
(2018-07-04 20:17:03)Big Money Salvia Wrote: windows 10

Dude if you really want Windows get 7 instead, Windows 10's tracking and auto-updater are horrible.
(2018-07-05 00:32:43)I Wrote:
(2018-07-04 20:17:03)Big Money Salvia Wrote: windows 10

Dude if you really want Windows get 7 instead, Windows 10's tracking and auto-updater are horrible.

Hows it so horrible?
(2018-07-05 02:05:35)David Wrote:
(2018-07-05 00:32:43)I Wrote:
(2018-07-04 20:17:03)Big Money Salvia Wrote: windows 10
Hows it so horrible?

Well as for the tracking it's obvious, as for the auto-updater I experienced it myself and I tried to deactivate the forced auto-updater, then I got pop-ups every now and then that got me out of fullscreen games that reminded me to update, it was often and really annoying.
(2018-07-05 12:05:59)I Wrote:
(2018-07-05 00:32:43)I Wrote:  Dude if you really want Windows get 7 instead, Windows 10's tracking and auto-updater are horrible.
Hows it so horrible?

Well as for the tracking it's obvious, as for the auto-updater I experienced it myself and I tried to deactivate the forced auto-updater, then I got pop-ups every now and then that got me out of fullscreen games that reminded me to update, it was often and really annoying.

Its not obvious, why dont you explain

Why do you need to deactivate auto updates anyway? The majority of people have no reason to disable updates. Yeah it sucks but there are work-arounds, easier with windows 10 pro and up
(2018-07-05 15:02:53)David Wrote:
(2018-07-05 12:05:59)I Wrote:
(2018-07-05 00:32:43)I Wrote:  Dude if you really want Windows get 7 instead, Windows 10's tracking and auto-updater are horrible.
Hows it so horrible?
Its not obvious, why dont you explain Why do you need to deactivate auto updates anyway? The majority of people have no reason to disable updates. Yeah it sucks but there are work-arounds, easier with windows 10 pro and up

https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/sci...ot-Stopped

1) Internet/Memory usage (The latter is also a huge problem for laptops with small storage, like 32GB, this one laptop wasn't mine but I had to use it for a while)
2) It's forced as I already said.
3)Easier with windows 10 pro and up means "Pay more and we won't force you to update while you're doing other things".
(2018-07-05 18:58:33)I Wrote:
(2018-07-05 15:02:53)David Wrote:
(2018-07-05 12:05:59)I Wrote: Well as for the tracking it's obvious, as for the auto-updater I experienced it myself and I tried to deactivate the forced auto-updater, then I got pop-ups every now and then that got me out of fullscreen games that reminded me to update, it was often and really annoying.
Its not obvious, why dont you explain Why do you need to deactivate auto updates anyway? The majority of people have no reason to disable updates. Yeah it sucks but there are work-arounds, easier with windows 10 pro and up

1) Internet/Memory usage (The latter is also a huge problem for laptops with small storage, like 32GB, this one laptop wasn't mine but I had to use it for a while)
3)Easier with windows 10 pro and up means "Pay more and we won't force you to update while you're doing other things".

You can disable pretty much all tracking except telemetry (which isn't anything personal), it seems like you just grabbed the first article you could find that backs up your argument, and that supposed "keylogger" can be disabled too

Since you're so concerned with privacy you should stop using google and various other websites
(2018-07-05 20:12:14)David Wrote:
(2018-07-05 18:58:33)I Wrote:
(2018-07-05 15:02:53)David Wrote: Its not obvious, why dont you explain Why do you need to deactivate auto updates anyway? The majority of people have no reason to disable updates. Yeah it sucks but there are work-arounds, easier with windows 10 pro and up

You can disable pretty much all tracking except telemetry (which isn't anything personal), it seems like you just grabbed the first article you could find that backs up your argument, and that supposed "keylogger" can be disabled too

Since you're so concerned with privacy you should stop using google and various other websites

Uh, I gave you that site since you were too lazy to look it up yourself, and I'm concerned about the flaws the OS has.

Also even if it could be disabled there's still the forced auto-updater which interrupts people from their current activity.
(2018-07-05 20:22:42)I Wrote:
(2018-07-05 18:58:33)I Wrote: https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/sci...ot-Stopped

Uh, I gave you that site since you were too lazy to look it up yourself

I did look it up myself and that was one of the articles I saw lol, I wanted you to explain it because it just seemed like a point you were spewing off with little knowledge about the subject and you proved my point when you linked an irrelevant article talking about a keylogger you can't disable when infact you can disable the "keylogger".
(2018-07-05 21:00:58)David Wrote:
(2018-07-05 20:22:42)I Wrote:
(2018-07-05 18:58:33)I Wrote: https://www.express.co.uk/life-style/sci...ot-Stopped 1) Internet/Memory usage (The latter is also a huge problem for laptops with small storage, like 32GB, this one laptop wasn't mine but I had to use it for a while) 2) It's forced as I already said. 3)Easier with windows 10 pro and up means "Pay more and we won't force you to update while you're doing other things".
You can disable pretty much all tracking except telemetry (which isn't anything personal), it seems like you just grabbed the first article you could find that backs up your argument, and that supposed "keylogger" can be disabled too Since you're so concerned with privacy you should stop using google and various other websites
Uh, I gave you that site since you were too lazy to look it up yourself
I did look it up myself and that was one of the articles I saw lol, I wanted you to explain it because it just seemed like a point you were spewing off with little knowledge about the subject and you proved my point when you linked an irrelevant article talking about a keylogger you can't disable when infact you can disable the "keylogger".

Fair enough.

But it's still a scum move, no?
(2018-07-05 22:55:07)I Wrote:
(2018-07-05 21:00:58)David Wrote:
(2018-07-05 20:22:42)I Wrote: Uh, I gave you that site since you were too lazy to look it up yourself
I did look it up myself and that was one of the articles I saw lol, I wanted you to explain it because it just seemed like a point you were spewing off with little knowledge about the subject and you proved my point when you linked an irrelevant article talking about a keylogger you can't disable when infact you can disable the "keylogger".

Fair enough.

But it's still a scum move, no?

I mean sure, but it's not like it's for malicious intent. Windows 10 does have it's negatives but I'm not really bothered by them, I'm a gamer so I don't plan on switching to Linux anytime soon (I do want to use it and learn the ins and outs but it just doesn't have the library of games windows has). There is WINE but it doesn't work for every game, I could use Windows 7 but support ends in 2020 and theres no DirectX 12 support, but even putting those aside I still have no real reason to go back
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to David for this post:
  • I