Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which hill are you willing to die on?
ur moms ass
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Joccy for this post:
  • Ali
(2018-08-04 08:43:22)plastic Wrote:
(2018-08-03 17:32:58)Mystery Wrote: Look, you can call me ignorant all you want, but the fact of the matter is I don't generally like modern music. That's just how I am. I've heard plenty of modern popular songs to come to that conclusion.

“i’ve heard a few songs on my radio that i didn’t like

I'm gonna stop you right there because that simply isn't true. Don't make random assumptions about me and use it as an arguing stance.

And I said in general. I don't think every single popular modern song is bad, I just generally don't like it more than older popular music.
It's like asking for a slight hint of apocalypse.

[Image: TGKOjwH.png]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Mystery for this post:
  • Camer999
I guess you know my opinion better than me.

How butthurt can you be?
(2016-06-08 14:42:56)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: Poitical correctness has gone too damn far, and then some.

>Deleates all posts discussing downsides of uncontrolled immigration.
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to Tebbe for this post:
  • Camer999, DD667, Mystery, Pacha Kamaq, Residays
(2018-08-03 09:29:44)plastic Wrote: what an ignorant statement that can only be made by someone who doesn’t know anything about what they’re talking about
let me guess your favourite bands are queen and led zeppelin
let me guess you’ve not even heard 10 albums released this decade
let me guess you can’t name 5 genres that started or kicked off this decade
let me guess you can’t name 10 artists who have had critical acclaim this decade
let me guess you’ve never actually looked at any new music you’ve just looked at songs with hundreds of millions of views while already holding a preconceived notion that it’s bad from what everyone else says therefore you dislike it before you’ve even heard it and only look for things to hate about it then decide “wow every single thing that has ever been released in the past few years is bad therefore only music that exists before the 00s can be good”

"You're not entitled to a personal taste unless you dedicate years to extensive research."
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to aaaaaa123456789 for this post:
  • Mystery, Pacha Kamaq, Residays
[Image: 1b1.gif]
[Image: ebvLbre.jpg]
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to Uptight 534 for this post:
  • Camer999, DD667, Mystery, Residays
(2018-07-20 10:49:19)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote:
(2018-07-19 23:26:59)Ali Wrote:
(2018-07-19 08:54:09)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: I think that most forms of local conventions (language, time zones, calendars, units of measurement, driving on the left/right...) are doomed to disappear sooner or later ­— for the greater good of us all.

[

I agree but how would time zones disappear? Don't they exist because the sun rises and sets at different times in different places?

Yes, but correlation between solar time and civil time is slowly eroding. One hundred years ago, timezones were extremely granular, to the point of having five-minute differences (or even less!) between nearby cities just so that civil time would align with solar time — this is known as local mean time (LMT), and it refers to the timezone that matches up exactly with solar time at some point on Earth. Nowadays, most of the world rounds LMT to the nearest hour, and even accepts one- or two-hour differences from LMT, just so that time will be consistent within their country and with the rest of the world; we've gone from hundreds of timezones to less than forty (not including DST variations).

In the end, the number we assign to a certain point in time is a convention, and so is much of the daily cycle. We work here from 9:00 to 18:00 because that's the standard; if we suddenly decided to use UTC, we'd work from 12:00 to 21:00, have lunch at about 16:00, and so on, and not a single thing would have changed in our lives. Hours are meaningful because we give them meaning; that meaning can be changed.

I find timezones pretty handy, albeit just not highly granular ones. If everyone suddenly decided to use UTC as you mentioned, it'd be difficult relating to anyone with regards to time without knowing both their general location and how to convert that time to something meaningful to you. It'd also suck for people who travel frequently, as they'd have to adjust to a whole new time standard wherever they went.

All removing timezones would really do is make cross-region communication unnecessarily hard. You'd still have timezones since they're inherent to life on Earth, it's just you'd be forcing people to do the conversions themselves. That doesn't exactly sound like a very efficient system to me, especially in today's globalized world.

I honestly think it's kind of odd to suggest that because we're moving away from excessively granular timezones, we'll keep going and end up completely without them. They serve a pretty important purpose in modern-day life imo.
[Image: vqGfn9p.gif]
(2018-07-18 15:05:38)ProClifo Wrote: For me it's child abuse. You should never, ever, ever hit your child [...] I'll never change my mind.

The ends justify the means.

(2018-08-04 12:37:17)Mystery Wrote: I don't think every single popular modern song is bad, I just generally don't like it more than older popular music.

That's probably just because of a selection bias.

Garbage music gets old real fast. Nobody's going to remember today's garbage twenty years from now, but they'll keep listening to the good stuff.

There's a lot of old bad music that was popular in its time, but you're much less likely to come across it while listening to old popular music then you are to come across new bad music while listening to new popular music.
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to Ringstaart for this post:
  • aaaaaa123456789, Camer999, Mystery, Pacha Kamaq, Residays
At least Ringstaart used logic and reasoning, you're just throwing out baseless accusations.

[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Mystery for this post:
  • Camer999, Pacha Kamaq, Residays
(2018-07-20 10:49:19)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote:
(2018-07-19 23:26:59)Ali Wrote:
(2018-07-19 08:54:09)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: I think that most forms of local conventions (language, time zones, calendars, units of measurement, driving on the left/right...) are doomed to disappear sooner or later ­— for the greater good of us all.

[

I agree but how would time zones disappear? Don't they exist because the sun rises and sets at different times in different places?

Yes, but correlation between solar time and civil time is slowly eroding. One hundred years ago, timezones were extremely granular, to the point of having five-minute differences (or even less!) between nearby cities just so that civil time would align with solar time — this is known as local mean time (LMT), and it refers to the timezone that matches up exactly with solar time at some point on Earth. Nowadays, most of the world rounds LMT to the nearest hour, and even accepts one- or two-hour differences from LMT, just so that time will be consistent within their country and with the rest of the world; we've gone from hundreds of timezones to less than forty (not including DST variations).

In the end, the number we assign to a certain point in time is a convention, and so is much of the daily cycle. We work here from 9:00 to 18:00 because that's the standard; if we suddenly decided to use UTC, we'd work from 12:00 to 21:00, have lunch at about 16:00, and so on, and not a single thing would have changed in our lives. Hours are meaningful because we give them meaning; that meaning can be changed.

The calendar changing halfway through the day would be a problem. I like the calendar to be approximately aligned to the day/night cycle. I don't mind if it's a bit off, but I do want concepts like "saturday afternoon" to stay meaningful, which means that each saturday should have exactly one afternoon no matter where that saturday happens to take place.

If I'm reading about something that happened to someone then "1 PM locally, i.e. around lunchtime" is usually more informative than "7 PM in Greenwich", especially if I don't know exactly where it happened. And if I'm looking at ISO-8601 timestamps in server logs the time is already unambiguous and getting rid of time zones wouldn't be worth the trouble.

The metric system and driving on the right of the road might work equally well whether you're in the UK or in Australia, as long as everyone agrees, but UTC doesn't. Solar days matter.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Ringstaart for this post:
  • aaaaaa123456789, Tuxi
i will never change my mind that big tiddy goth gfs are the best
(2018-08-09 11:06:09)plastic Wrote:
(2018-08-05 16:04:39)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: "You're not entitled to a personal taste unless you dedicate years to extensive research."
literally nothing to do with what i said and missed the point completely but please keep justifying ignorance and elitism

i’m not quite sure if you’re aware of this very obscure fact but years are not genres of music

the fact that you and mystery thanked the last post which was a point i already made is just really epic too

He made an argument; you ranted like an angry old man and demanded that people know a minimum number of artists, bands and so on.
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to aaaaaa123456789 for this post:
  • Residays
Refer to your signature for a very fitting answer to your post.

[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to aaaaaa123456789 for this post:
  • Camer999, Mystery, Pacha Kamaq, Residays
If you start a sentence with "let me guess", then it's an accusation. It's not complicated.

(2018-08-12 19:11:19)plastic Wrote: not really all you people who say that kind of crap are exactly the same

i didn’t demand a single thing i’m pointing out that he has idea what he’s talking about like i’ve said multiple times

Dude just let it go why tf are you so butt hurt over this go outside or something
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to David for this post:
  • Residays
(2018-08-12 21:09:52)David Wrote:
(2018-08-12 19:11:19)plastic Wrote: not really all you people who say that kind of crap are exactly the same

i didn’t demand a single thing i’m pointing out that he has idea what he’s talking about like i’ve said multiple times

Dude just let it go why tf are you so butt hurt over this go outside or something

No, stupid arguments like this is what makes this forum great.
[Image: pJ8pMZ2.png]
(2018-08-12 23:49:34)Ali Wrote:
(2018-08-12 21:09:52)David Wrote:

No, stupid arguments like this is what makes this forum great.

True that
(2018-08-17 23:28:22)plastic Wrote:
(2018-08-12 23:49:34)Ali Wrote: No, stupid arguments like this is what makes this forum great.

wow man you're so epic how can i be epic like you the master of epic

You're so butthurt holy shit lmao
[Image: pJ8pMZ2.png]
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to Ali for this post:
  • aaaaaa123456789, Camer999, DD667, Pacha Kamaq, Residays
Being against the death penalty. I've been in a couple of irl discussions about this and I don't think anything could change my mind on this topic.