Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I learn C language?
My first taught languages were Processing and C++.

I tried to make a large program in C++ but was difficult.

Though I already have got taught C++ before, should I learn C language in order to learn the basis?
While you could, starting with C at your current level wouldn't be the best of ideas. Learning programming through C++ is certainly one of the worst ways of getting started.

Pick something simpler to start with.
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
(2018-09-28 05:39:44)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: While you could, starting with C at your current level wouldn't be the best of ideas. Learning programming through C++ is certainly one of the worst ways of getting started.

Well, then, in some classes I had to use Python for simulation and calculation, so I saw its tutorials a bit. Also I took Ruby tutorial course on SoloLearn before....

I think I wanted to make an application works on browser, so in this case it's essential to learn html, CSS, and JavaScript. What should I learn more?
(2018-09-28 07:30:58)SouthAnd960 Wrote: JavaScript
[Image: ?u=https%3A%2F%2Fprod-filesbucket-7hmmor...9P0JTm&f=1]
[Image: tumblr_nddxf2XzYY1tvf9p0o1_400.gif]
(2018-09-28 07:30:58)SouthAnd960 Wrote:
(2018-09-28 05:39:44)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: While you could, starting with C at your current level wouldn't be the best of ideas. Learning programming through C++ is certainly one of the worst ways of getting started.

Well, then, in some classes I had to use Python for simulation and calculation, so I saw its tutorials a bit. Also I took Ruby tutorial course on SoloLearn before....

I think I wanted to make an application works on browser, so in this case it's essential to learn html, CSS, and JavaScript. What should I learn more?

HTML, CSS and JavaScript are essential for web pages, so if you want to make web pages it's good to learn them.

Python is useful for a lot of different things, and it's not very hard. I recommend it.

C is an important language, but it's hard and tedious to use right and not very useful for casual users. Some people find it fun, but it's probably not a good option for you at this point.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ringstaart for this post:
  • aaaaaa123456789
(2018-09-28 11:26:03)self Wrote:

Why did you react so? You should have reacted so when you hear more difficult languages such as Malbolge....

(2018-09-28 19:13:03)Ringstaart Wrote:
(2018-09-28 07:30:58)SouthAnd960 Wrote:

HTML, CSS and JavaScript are essential for web pages, so if you want to make web pages it's good to learn them.

Python is useful for a lot of different things, and it's not very hard. I recommend it.

C is an important language, but it's hard and tedious to use right and not very useful for casual users. Some people find it fun, but it's probably not a good option for you at this point.

Then, at what point is it good to learn C?
(2018-09-29 05:37:39)SouthAnd960 Wrote:
(2018-09-28 11:26:03)self Wrote:

Why did you react so? You should have reacted so when you hear more difficult languages such as Malbolge....

Javascript has a lot of flaws that often make programs written in it ugly. But it's worth learning because you need it on webpages.

SouthAnd960 Wrote:
(2018-09-28 19:13:03)Ringstaart Wrote:
(2018-09-28 07:30:58)SouthAnd960 Wrote: Well, then, in some classes I had to use Python for simulation and calculation, so I saw its tutorials a bit. Also I took Ruby tutorial course on SoloLearn before....

Then, at what point is it good to learn C?

C is good for programs that need to be very fast, or that need to run on unusual hardware, or that need to do low-level things (like operating systems). If you want to do one of those things it's good to learn.

It's also good to learn when you already know one or more other programming languages well, because learning it teaches you certain general knowledge.

But it's possible to learn it now. You can try it to see if you enjoy it. If you enjoy it, this is a good time to learn it. If you don't enjoy it, it's better to do it later.
Don't let anyone gatekeep you from learning anything, especially a programming language of all things. If you want to learn C, do it. You're 100% capable. It's no harder to learn C than it is to learn any other language. I'd even say it's easier than most other languages; plus, if you know C there's very little point to using much else unless you're specifically required to use it (e.g. certain HTML5 technologies for web pages).
[Image: vqGfn9p.gif]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Delphinoid for this post:
  • SouthAnd960
(2018-10-02 13:56:55)Delphinoid Wrote: Don't let anyone gatekeep you from learning anything, especially a programming language of all things. If you want to learn C, do it. You're 100% capable.

This is true, but it may or may not be helpful. I think he wants to know whether learning C would be fun and useful. Knowing that is important for making a good decision.

If you want to learn C, go for it! But it's good to know what you're getting into.

Quote:plus, if you know C there's very little point to using much else unless you're specifically required to use it (e.g. certain HTML5 technologies for web pages).

This is not true at all. Most interesting programs are significantly easier and faster to write in other languages, and more likely to be correct.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ringstaart for this post:
  • self
python -> C++ -> C

Python is easy to start with. It's very flexible and can be a powerful/useful langauge since it does a lot for you, but doesn't get in the way of getting your hands dirty.

C++ is easier than C since it has some more modern features in it. It can still be very confusing at times with compiler/linker errors that make no sense to the unitiated.

C is super powerful. You can do anything you really "want" to do but it basically requires you to do everything yourself. I wouldn't recommend it for most beginners unless you'll need to be doing assembly stuff/arduino stuff and you start at C and go to "harder" lower-level stuff.
h
(2018-10-05 04:50:54)Pandoras Fox Wrote: python -> C++ -> C

Python is easy to start with. It's very flexible and can be a powerful/useful langauge since it does a lot for you, but doesn't get in the way of getting your hands dirty.

C++ is easier than C since it has some more modern features in it. It can still be very confusing at times with compiler/linker errors that make no sense to the unitiated.

C is super powerful. You can do anything you really "want" to do but it basically requires you to do everything yourself. I wouldn't recommend it for most beginners unless you'll need to be doing assembly stuff/arduino stuff and you start at C and go to "harder" lower-level stuff.

Start with Python? Haven't I already told you that I was made to start with c++? Well, I was taught assembly too in experiments.
PS. Had I better learn assembly language before C?
While that's a way to start, I wouldn't recommend it.
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)