Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What should we do with the Nazi stone?
This is Olavsstøtta. It was built in 1805 and set up on Stiklestad, where the famous battle between King Olaf II and the heathens took place in 1030. The battle was a very important event in Norwegian history, because it signified the end of old Norse mythology and the beginning of Christianity in Norway.

In 1944, Olavsstøtta was taken down by the far-right Norwegian political party Nasjonal Samling, whom cooperated with the German Nazis that invaded Norway during the second world war. Olavsstøtta was replaced by this tall Nazi monument. After the war, Olavsstøtta was put back on the hill and the Nazi monument was tipped over and buried in the ground.

Now, 70 years later, discussion is starting to spark up about whether we should dig up the Nazi monument. Historians think we should dig up the entire thing and put it in a musem, others think we should uncover it just a little so you can see parts of the stone. Others say it's a disgrace and that the Nazi stone belongs in the ground forever.

As you can imagine, this has created some really fierce discussion between Norwegians. What do you think should be done with the Nazi stone? Should we dig it up? Should it remain the ground? Discuss.
[Image: gWu2Jq2.jpg]
Dig it out. Make it accessible to historians at least. We shouldn't let it buried when it could offer some historical knowledge just because some people may get offended. It's not like digging it out means to agree with what it stood for.
I don't have a sicknature
YouTube (original music) | Newgrounds (games)
[-] The following 5 users say Thank You to Verdusk for this post:
  • aaaaaa123456789, Ali, AN|0N, Pacha Kamaq, ProClifo
Put it in a museum. You can't pretend that Nazism didn't happen just by literally burying it underground.

There's a reason why Auschwitz-Birkenau is still open for visitors instead of having been leveled to the ground.
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to aaaaaa123456789 for this post:
  • AN|0N
(2018-10-10 06:17:39)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: There's a reason why Auschwitz-Birkenau is still open for visitors instead of having been leveled to the ground.

Auschwitz-Birkenau is kept open because it's proof of nazi atrocities. Visiting it informs you what people are capable of.

That nazi monument would tell you that nazis were there and some people thought they were pretty great, I guess? I don't think it's comparable or very valuable.

I guess I'm in favor of digging it up but I don't feel strongly about it. Getting more context might convince me otherwise.