Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Super Mario Maker
(2015-09-22 06:54:07)q Wrote: The thing is, it's very hard to find actually good Mario Maker levels. Most of the time when I check the featured/starred levels, it's clogged with troll/enemy spam levels or don't moves. I wish there were more levels like the official ones without poor gimmicks.

Oh, and I have made a couple levels but haven't published them because they suck and I'd be a hypocrite if I did upload them.

The way I find good levels is by:
  1. Star a level
  2. Look at the creator
  3. Look at their starred levels
  4. Find a good level
  5. Repeat from step 2
But yeah the current featured/starred levels is terrible. It doesn't help that the top starred levels will keep getting starred.
[Image: FRimeC6.png]"DOH I MISSED" [Image: FRimeC6.png]
Made a new #SuperMarioMaker course.
Course ID: 2E48-0000-0061-DDF1

It's not hard once you get the hang of it and know a trick or two. Wink
[Image: 5bQTXYG.jpg]

Just got 50 stars. Now I can upload 20 levels if I wanted to lol.
Also I don't get why you need so many stars for the medals. I heard that the first medal is 1, second is 50, third is 150, fourth is 300.

Speaking of stars, when do you guys star levels? 
I star a level whenever the level doesn't do anything that's BS.
I star a level when it's actually a fun level to play, no mean tricks and difficulty for the sake of it. If it has a cool gimmick or wouldn't look out of place in a real mario game, it gets a star. With this criteria though, only about 1% of levels deserve a star from what I've seen.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to q for this post:
  • McButt
I only star levels that I particularly enjoy and think have good design.
I've been watching this game on twitch (shout outs to Trihex) and it looks so fucking good. I love how there 4 themes for levels, this seriously looks like something I'd play years from now. Of course since the levels are made by players the majority of them will suck ass, but if you find a few good levels I can see this being worth it. I know there are amiibo skins, but I have a couple of questions. Do you NEED the amiibo to unlock them? Do amiibos only work with one level theme?
[Gaming IDs] XB1/PS4: ooNitromonkeyoo WiiU: nitr0monkey Steam: nitromonkeyjv
let me know you're from here or JV before adding me
I've unlocked a few skins which I don't have the amiibo for, but I am not sure how or if it is possible to unlock all. Or even if those skins are for any actual amiibo for that matter. :/
They only work in the Super Mario Bros (original) style. The mushroom for it replaces propeller suit/feather/tanooki.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Suuper for this post:
  • nitromonkey
Suuper is right that the Mystery Mushroom gets replaced in each style. Mystery Mushroom in SMB, Tanooki in SMB3, Cape Feather SMW, and Propeller Suit NSMBU.

Mystery Mushroom Skins are unlocked by beating the 100 Mario Challenge over and over. I'm pretty sure you can get them all this way. I got a Dr. Mario Amiibo Skin this way.
The only limit as far as I'm concerned is that you can only unlock 20 costumes in Easy 100 Mario Challenge. You have to unlock all the others in Medium or Expert. (i.e. you can not just play Automatic Mario Levels and Levels where you can't die to unlock all the costumes.)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to McButt for this post:
  • nitromonkey
Here's my opinion with the whole shit about Mario level editors:
Yeah it's an official editor, but it lacks some features I would like. They aren't gonna give you everything in supply.

My favorite editor I've experienced was Super Mario Bros. X (created by Redigit/Demilogic, now created by a community of people). It was created in 2009 but the OG creator ceased producing the editor in April 2011 due to some controversy with Nintendo's lawyers.
I've always been pleased with what I have created using that editor. I remember playing some high quality maps from that game; videos at end.

I haven't played it a lot recently, I might hop onto the game every couple of months just to have fun, but I'm a fan of the original, not the community version, and that version is only on my old Windows XP PC and I rarely use it. Makes me proud that I am one of the few that still has the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afedKziZ...wNbSAtFTOl

This fella here Bossedit8 had some cool playthroughs of some of the maps. https://www.youtube.com/user/bossedit8/videos
http://www.supermariobrosx.org/wiki/List...X_Episodes

EDIT: I recall myself trying to speedrun the main map set 'The Invasion 2' back then. Was amazed at my results at a game which few tried to speedrun. I think I had a few of my runs recorded, I'll try to find them on my old hard drive.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Ares for this post:
  • Delphinoid
There are some things that they're missing that really should be there. Checkpoints, ? blocks that give you a mushroom if you're small and a real power otherwise, setting a time limit over 500 seconds, and slopes are things that immediately come to mind.
(2015-09-29 01:58:28)q Wrote: There are some things that they're missing that really should be there. Checkpoints, ? blocks that give you a mushroom if you're small and a real power otherwise, setting a time limit over 500 seconds, and slopes are things that immediately come to mind.
It's funny because the Mario Maker stage for Smash 4 has slopes, maybe someone will notice and patch them in the actual game?
[Gaming IDs] XB1/PS4: ooNitromonkeyoo WiiU: nitr0monkey Steam: nitromonkeyjv
let me know you're from here or JV before adding me
Got this game this weekend, and here's my first impression on... the 100x mario challenge.

What I just went through, it was stupid. lol. All the levels were automated or super easy/simple. The last level was even automated. To put it simply, the levels people make.. i didn't like them. I didn't even die once.

I understand these are probably randomly generated though, but wow. lol. I also thought I'd get something for, well, not dying. I guess there's no achievement in that.

Edit: I just did it again...

If this were my game, I'd hire someone to pick the levels daily, not even a big deal. that way people would actually enjoy this mode and would have a reason to play it every day.
random Sig
Play the harder version. You can unlock an "Expert" level by completing the medium level. (at least that's when I unlocked it) I haven't seen any automated levels there.
Though there still weren't many quality levels...
I haven't really understood what people like about the new mario games (2006-beyond).

For me, I am a fan of the classics like the All Star Mario Pack and Super Mario World, I had an NES as a kid and I used to game on it before I ever had a computer. (my apologies if you think I'm old but w/e)

Perhaps people like the new mario games because of the graphics and colors, but I never see anything interesting with the level design.  One thing I've noticed... and most of you probably have, is that they make the games so fucking easy.  It's gotten easier and easier as time goes by.  Super Mario World, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario 64, hey those gave me a challenge. I beat them all but they were still challenging, good level design elements ;p. Then I go to New Super Mario Bros, and I could beat it around twice as slow as a TAS could beat it (current TAS of NSMB = 21:08.08), around 45 minutes on first try (approximate, no need to jump on me tryhard Sherlocks).

Well, since those games are "dead", I like making my own games out of the old engines of those games and I can make a damn good game out of 'em.  If Nintendo wants people to be creative and have fun, then they should stop basing everything off of a new and limited engine but go back to the classics and let people experiment with that. Most people would agree, that the old mario games are far superior than the new games.

Sorry if this is a crappy post, kinda rushed it.

The only problems that I had with Super Mario Bros. 3 and World were;

Super Mario Bros. 3 bosses with hammer suit were short and easy.
Super Mario World's cape powerup was too overpowering (hehe).
Although Starman was rare on both games, Super Mario Bros 3's was too short and Super Mario World's was too long.

I always liked the series; The Second Reality Project mario "hack" for Super Mario World and "Chaos Control" for Super Mario Bros 3.

Does anyone remember the Super Mario Advance 4 e+ card thing? I was honestly impressed by that little thing (though I played on emulator, xD Suuper).  I would say that was probably the foundation to combining mario elements into one game, and led to Super Mario Bros. X (my favorite mario editor) being created.  I liked SMA4 for world-e, not because of the remake of Super Mario Bros. 3 (well, the sounds were annoying and the game was too easy imo).  Lots of Mario games on YoyoGames were based off of SMA4 instead of SMB3.
I see where you're coming from, and a lot of mid 2000s mario games were considerably easier than the older ones, but I've found that since the introduction of the Super Guide and related assistance, nintendo's been more comfortable making difficult games. NSMB Wii was considerably more difficult than NSMB DS (NSMBU was about the same difficulty, NSLU was more difficult again), Mario Galaxy 2 was more difficult than Mario Galaxy 1, and SM3DW's special worlds got fairly challenging, particularly Champion's Road.

I find that SMB3 was similar difficulty to these more recent mario titles, and that SMW was much easier because of how broken the feather was. SMB1 and especially Lost Levels, yes they were harder, but that was more because of how dodgy those games' physics engines were than anything else.

In my opinion, Champion's Road and The Perfect Run from Galaxy 2 are right up there with the most difficult official mario levels ever made.

(2015-10-08 06:40:56)q Wrote: I see where you're coming from, and a lot of mid 2000s mario games were considerably easier than the older ones, but I've found that since the introduction of the Super Guide and related assistance, nintendo's been more comfortable making difficult games. NSMB Wii was considerably more difficult than NSMB DS (NSMBU was about the same difficulty, NSLU was more difficult again), Mario Galaxy 2 was more difficult than Mario Galaxy 1, and SM3DW's special worlds got fairly challenging, particularly Champion's Road.

I find that SMB3 was similar difficulty to these more recent mario titles, and that SMW was much easier because of how broken the feather was. SMB1 and especially Lost Levels, yes they were harder, but that was more because of how dodgy those games' physics engines were than anything else.

In my opinion, Champion's Road and The Perfect Run from Galaxy 2 are right up there with the most difficult official mario levels ever made.

I never really gave a go for any 3D game other than Super Mario 64 in terms of mario games.

Yeah some of the physics in those games were bad:

ESPECIALLY SM64's BLJ exploit.

I'm a man of the classics, I never gave much respect to anything beyond NSMB DS.
Fair enough, it's just interesting that you say that, because while I loved Super Mario 64 as a kid, now it's clear how many glaring flaws there were in that game that have been fixed since. Flaws like the BLJ exploit (as you mentioned), the combined HP/oxygen bar, the fact that coins restore your health and are pretty much everywhere, and an overabundance of combat moves, most of which are pretty much useless. It was an amazing game for its time because it was one of the first fully 3D games, but playing it again is a testament to how much more refined newer games are.
I just made my first level. it's pretty short.

B412-0000-00B3-905F
random Sig
(2015-09-22 02:53:46)Delphinoid Wrote: I kind of don't see the appeal honestly, there are so many free, and by the looks of it better, alternatives. Super Mario Flash (you can share levels online), Super Mario Bros. X (multiple people can actually edit and test levels at once which is sick), Mario Builder (pretty flexible, lets you create custom tiles etc.) and of course ROM hacking... meh

The UI and ability to jump in and create is superior to any of the ones you listed. The platform has millions of participants, meaning it's very easy to find lots and lots of levels made by others and to expose your own levels to lots and lots of other people. You can switch between different themes. You can switch between editing and playing seamlessly. Combining elements is intuitive. Sound effects. Graphics. I could go on.
(2015-10-18 21:28:00)Nedron Wrote:
(2015-09-22 02:53:46)Delphinoid Wrote: I kind of don't see the appeal honestly, there are so many free, and by the looks of it better, alternatives. Super Mario Flash (you can share levels online), Super Mario Bros. X (multiple people can actually edit and test levels at once which is sick), Mario Builder (pretty flexible, lets you create custom tiles etc.) and of course ROM hacking... meh

The UI and ability to jump in and create is superior to any of the ones you listed. The platform has millions of participants, meaning it's very easy to find lots and lots of levels made by others and to expose your own levels to lots and lots of other people. You can switch between different themes. You can switch between editing and playing seamlessly. Combining elements is intuitive. Sound effects. Graphics. I could go on.

I have to agree with Delphinoid. However, I would take off Super Mario Flash from that list.