Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
four games left
[Image: Zem0J74.png]

[Image: 11cBcWO.png]
[Image: gWu2Jq2.jpg]
I wonder how many games would actually be drawn if offering a draw was not allowed.
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
(2018-11-21 05:58:31)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: I wonder how many games would actually be drawn if offering a draw was not allowed.
Probably most, if not all. These are world class players. They know when the game is hopeless to win.
(2018-11-21 14:13:19)ProClifo Wrote:
(2018-11-21 05:58:31)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: I wonder how many games would actually be drawn if offering a draw was not allowed.
Probably most, if not all. These are world class players. They know when the game is hopeless to win.

If I recall, a game is tied when any of the following events happens:
  • The same position occurs at least three times in a game, and a player requests it (or five times if neither player requests it);
  • Fifty moves go by without any player moving a pawn or capturing a piece, and a player requests it (or seventy-five moves if neither player requests it);
  • The player who has to move is not in check, but cannot make any legal move;
  • Enough pieces on both sides have been captured to guarantee that checkmate is impossible; or
  • Either player offers a draw, and the other player accepts.

If you remove the last option, you only end up with forced draws; you eliminate the possibility for players to decide to cut down their losses.
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
Everything I wanna do in my life is watch Carlsen sweep over the queen with his tower
[Image: 2is88j5.png]

thats why fischer quit chess
[Image: dTHYN7f.png]
My government killed a man for no reason. They had no proof he was involved in 9/11 no one even charged him with it. He was never indicted, arrested or tried for the 1998 bombings but was gunned down like a dog in the street. One day we will find out the truth about 9/11.
RIP
-William Connell
Lel.
[Image: sYWyBtX.png]

Every single game would still be drawn.

(2018-11-22 00:45:50)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote:
(2018-11-21 14:13:19)ProClifo Wrote:
If I recall, a game is tied when any of the following events happens:
  • The same position occurs at least three times in a game, and a player requests it (or five times if neither player requests it);
  • Fifty moves go by without any player moving a pawn or capturing a piece, and a player requests it (or seventy-five moves if neither player requests it);
  • The player who has to move is not in check, but cannot make any legal move;
  • Enough pieces on both sides have been captured to guarantee that checkmate is impossible; or
  • Either player offers a draw, and the other player accepts.
If you remove the last option, you only end up with forced draws; you eliminate the possibility for players to decide to cut down their losses.

Removing the last option wouldn't change much. The first event would occur instead. If you were to propose removing every option which can end a game prematurely, well, that would just be a waste of everybody's time. Two guys rated 2832 and 2835 are not going to massively blunder. These guys can play one-minute chess with less inaccuracies, mistakes and blunders than 2400 players in classical games.

Edit: I predict that they will enter the rapid games portion of the tournament and Carlsen will win it.

Edit 2: Congratulations Magnus Carlsen on defending his title once again.

Okay, the 12th game is over now and they agreed to a draw way too early IMO. The winner will be decided at the tie-breaks this Wednesday. I kind of agree with Ax6 that they should be forced to play into a drawn position. It would force them to play well until the game is finished. In this last game, Magnus also had a strong chance of winning, but he kind of chickened out and agreed to a draw which Caruana accepted in a heartbeat.