Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why is summer vacation in your region three-month-long?
I heard there are no homeworks during the period. Is that so in your schools?
Also in what regions is it so?
School generally finishes in mid-December here, and the new year starts in the first week of March. So that makes it two months and a half.

There's a two-week winter break in June as well.
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
My school's summer break goes from ~15 May - 23 August. Generally there is no homework, unless one decides to take a summer course.
[Image: ebvLbre.jpg]
The concept of homework over a summer break is so foreign I can't even begin to imagine it. How would you get any homework after you're done with the school year? Why would anyone actually do it if they were assigned any, anyway?
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
For the UK you usually get 6 weeks summer holiday
2 weeks holiday twice (Christmas and Easter)
and 1 week holiday 3 times (in the middle of each term, where terms are Sept-Dec, Jan-Mar, Apr-Jul separated by the 6wk and 2wk breaks)

EDIT: idk about uni in general though, but I know those are the holidays for school up to age 18

EDIT 2: also homework over summer holidays? Never heard of that because it's a year transition. All other holidays I've had homework on before at least once through my time at school to 18 (but the teacher that gives it isn't very well liked after that for a bit lol)
(2019-04-10 16:29:36)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: The concept of homework over a summer break is so foreign I can't even begin to imagine it. How would you get any homework after you're done with the school year? Why would anyone actually do it if they were assigned any, anyway?

In high school and grade school, we had summer reading assignments where the school would sign x amount of books to read for a subject for your specific grade and classes (generally we had five per year in high school and two in total in grade school). Usually in grade school we had to do a project that was due the first day and in high school the assignment was up to the discretion of the instructor (test, project, reflection discussion, or a miscellaneous assignment (such as writing a poem)) and it was due at their discretion. About 50% of the instructors in high school did not even do any assignment about the summer reading so it was a waste if anyone did it.

I definitely read every book in grade school because the assignment was due the first day. For high school, I read some books over the summer if they were interesting and if not, I would wait to read until the school year started to see if the instructor even created an assignment (lesson learned after freshman year), which would be due ~two weeks from the posting date.

In university, there is no reading/assignment (well... for my school, all incoming freshman actually had a book to read over the summer used for discussions about identity in the first week; it was a pretty good book though), unless a student elects to take a class or classes over the summer, then there are assignments because it is a full class for university credit.

Second Edit: The reasoning for the summer assignments in high school and grade school is to, "keep students sharp and focused on school over the summer," or some other BS about not learning anything for three months.
[Image: ebvLbre.jpg]
For primary/secondary school here the summer break is roughly 2 and half months.
Definitely no homework unless you're entering year 11 or 12, since most schools do a fast start program which requires students to get some essential base knowledge done for certain subject units so that they can blaze through the content properly when the school year begins. It's generally not a large amount, though.

Doesn't make sense to me to have content/homework running through the end of year break, since the end of the year should normally signify the end of the prescribed learning.

• єиα •
Well, I'm talking about what is going in my region.

in Japan school begins April, and in all the elementary and junior high schools, which have obligatory educations, summer vacation usually begins around the end of July, and school re-begins in September. From mid, or perhaps end(i don't remember correctly) of Dec to early Jan, there's summer vacation. From mid of March to April, there's a spring vacation. In summer and winter vacations, students have a lot of homework, which are math, Japanese, society, science (those two are from 3rd grade of elementary school), English (since junior high school, but now academic English class is done since 5th grade, so... but what happened there?), doing scientific study (summer only), drawing an art (summer only), if I remember correctly.

BTW I have no ideas what about in senior high schools, since I'm on different college, but though, I had some, so I'm assuming they, in those schools, also have some.
I completely have no ideas about university students.
(2019-04-12 09:59:03)SouthAnd960 Wrote: Well, I'm talking about what is going in my region.

in Japan school begins April, and in all the elementary and junior high schools, which have obligatory educations, summer vacation usually begins around the end of July, and school re-begins in September. From mid, or perhaps end(i don't remember correctly) of Dec to early Jan, there's summer vacation. From mid of March to April, there's a spring vacation. In summer and winter vacations, students have a lot of homework, which are math, Japanese, society, science (those two are from 3rd grade of elementary school), English (since junior high school, but now academic English class is done since 5th grade, so... but what happened there?), doing scientific study (summer only), drawing an art (summer only), if I remember correctly.

BTW I have no ideas what about in senior high schools, since I'm on different college, but though, I had some, so I'm assuming they, in those schools, also have some.
I completely have no ideas about university students.

I go to a Japanese university and we didn't get any homework.

There are a few courses that specifically take place during the holiday, but that's different. They're optional courses that also need to take place during holidays because they require you to participate more hours at a time than the regular 100-minute courses, for fewer times, and likely somewhere else than the campus. (Like that one that teaches you kayaking in Yokohama)

As you can imagine, a lot of students end up doing part-time jobs for the 2 months holiday.
I don't have a sicknature
YouTube (original music) | Newgrounds (games)
In Sweden it's about 9 weeks, as to why it's originally because when they introduced obligatory schooling the children were needed at home helping out at the farm.

(2019-04-10 16:29:36)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: The concept of homework over a summer break is so foreign I can't even begin to imagine it. How would you get any homework after you're done with the school year? Why would anyone actually do it if they were assigned any, anyway?

In Japan the school year starts in April
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Tebbe for this post:
  • Camer the Dragon
It's a few months long, I don't know exactly how long. It's pretty nice though.
For as long as I can remember, I've had memories.

[Image: kFpaVQg.png]