Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC Build Update and Fail
It's that time of year again where I have to replace my PC coolant and check to make sure everything is still running fine. Instead of using distilled water and a biocide as a coolant with a lifespan of 6 months, I wanted to use a more long term, industrial coolant with a lifespan of 2-3 years. The original plan was to drain the system and do a simple fluid swap. Unfortunately the system was filthy and needed to be completely disassembled and scrubbed down.

6 months ago:

[Image: Nsv521Z.jpg?1]

From a few days ago. Notice the discoloration of the two soft tubes.

[Image: v4mKPkO.jpg?1]

The tubes in question after disassembly:

[Image: vWa58gS.jpg]

CPU waterblock:

[Image: wjFqhzw.jpg]

CPU waterblock scrubbed down and gross tubes replaced:

[Image: FwKl9Z2.jpg]

Now its time to fill the system and do a leak test..

Every watercoolers worst fear:

[Image: r4MLzUC.jpg]

[Image: TZmmdH6.jpg]

The leaky fittings in question:

[Image: uZv3CXi.jpg]

Thankfully the leak was coming from the highest point in the loop. The leaks stopped immediately after turning off the pump because the coolant can't reach that high. The worst part of it all is that the fittings are in an awkward spot and i can't get my hand in there to tighten the fittings. The loop had to be drained and partially disassembled to make the needed adjustments.

The CPU waterblock looks a lot cleaner than it did before. Probably as good as its going to get.

[Image: pUktuFi.jpg]

Here's a picture of the loop with the loop all filled up and free of leaks:

[Image: 23br84g.jpg]

The whole process took about 2 days from start to finish, could've finished sooner if not for the leak. Hopefully I won't have to open this up for the next couple of years.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Legend for this post:
  • Residays
I didn't know PC coolant needed regular replacing. I assumed it was just plain water in a closed system which would last as long as the system remains completely sealed. Why isn't it?
Check out my YouTube channels for tool-assisted goodies.
Suuper W, SuuperPR2
(2019-06-02 15:01:05)Suuper Wrote: I didn't know PC coolant needed regular replacing. I assumed it was just plain water in a closed system which would last as long as the system remains completely sealed. Why isn't it?

Plain distilled water without proper additives will cause corrosion and algae growth. The corrosion occurs because distilled water has been stripped of its ions and will fight with the other metals to reach equilibrium. Algae growth prevention adds further complexity to the system, with the two most common additives used being either a pure silver coil or a couple drops of a copper sulfate biocide. The silver coil adds yet another metal to the system, further complicating it. The copper sulfate will react with the metals and cause copper tarnishing. Using distilled water and additives was fine 10+ years ago because there weren't any alternative coolants available, but its a completely outdated approach today. A lot of premade coolants today have the necessary additives in the correct concentration to promote a long fluid lifespan and component safety.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Legend for this post:
  • aaaaaa123456789, Suuper
Interesting.
What does the algea eat in order to grow in there?
Suuper W, SuuperPR2
(2019-06-03 07:14:18)Suuper Wrote: Interesting.

All it takes is warm water and sunlight
(2019-06-03 07:14:18)Suuper Wrote: Interesting.

algae photosynthesize not eat

another question is, how did they get introduced there in the first place and why can't we just prevent that?
I don't have a sicknature
YouTube (original music) | Newgrounds (games)
They have to eat something. Otherwise, they would be made entirely of oxygen and hydrogen.
Suuper W, SuuperPR2
This is basically why I still run my rig on air-cooling, I can't be fucked to do more than swap the dust filters every month
h
(2019-06-03 16:42:47)Suuper Wrote: They have to eat something. Otherwise, they would be made entirely of oxygen and hydrogen.

Photosynthesis converts carbon dioxide and water into glucose and oxygen.
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
(2019-06-05 06:40:10)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote:
(2019-06-03 16:42:47)Suuper Wrote: They have to eat something. Otherwise, they would be made entirely of oxygen and hydrogen.

So there's sufficient carbon dioxide and whatever else the algae needs dissolved in the water to support significant algae growth. In other words, it's not pure water.
Suuper W, SuuperPR2
(2019-06-05 07:54:07)Suuper Wrote:
(2019-06-05 06:40:10)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote:

So there's sufficient carbon dioxide and whatever else the algae needs dissolved in the water to support significant algae growth. In other words, it's not pure water.

The water doesn't stay pure for long. Remember that it's passing over a few different metals and other materials such as nickel plated copper, bare copper, stainless steel, brass, and o-ring lubricant just to name a few.
And once there's a population of them, they generate carbon dioxide by breathing. Which they can then use to generate glucose, and the cycle keeps going.
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)