Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
groff/troff/?roff miniThread
This is not a megathread; a minithread. Do we discuss its usage? (Tho we may figure it out if we read this manual well)

Personally speaking I'd like to know how to put non-ASCII characters correctly on (g)roff.
You made it as a blog, so I moved it for you.
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
(2019-10-11 09:02:29)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: You made it as a blog, so I moved it for you.

Unexpected, but thanks.

BTW tbh I have googled a lot of things about groff, troff, and some.
Why do I suddenly wonder its usage?
Why do troff and groff authors leave issues that you cannot make some PDFs in non-ascii character languages, such as Japanese?

Today I learnt what you may think what are commands may be categorized into two: requests and macros.
Reading Groff manual, I see a section "Tutorials for macro users."

So, where is tutorial for UTF-8 character users?
Also last night I saw many posts saying version 1.19 sucks to document in Japanese; they had no choices but to use version 1.18.

This blog says version 1.22.4 avails utf8 encoding, but couldn't export Japanese contents into PDF, PS, HTML, or some formats; only plain text format worked.

Also do you really care for groff/troff in the first place that you also like to be on this discussion?

PS. Today in my college's library I tried looking for books entirely written about usage of troff, groff, or whatever about roff, only to find a book introducing basic tools for UNIX. BTW I easily found what says about TeX.
What is it?
Nothing like 20 hours of sleep to really work up an appetite.

[Image: kFpaVQg.png]
(2019-10-11 12:07:41)Mystery Wrote: What is it?

Typesetting tool.
Found something that may work well.

page above Wrote:groff -Kutf8 -Tdvi -mec -ms test.ms > test.dvi
dvipdfm -cz 9 test.dvi
open test.pdf

So I tried, then got below:

I carefully read the page again, and realized that the questioning person was bringing what is written in Czech; what I have has no Latin characters.

This time with following file I tried.

How can I use non-Latin characters?
I have no idea of how these tools work, but keep in mind that they predate Unicode by several decades, so support for it may be severely lacking.
As for your latest test, those numbers with a single 41 surrounded by a bunch of 0s in them make me think you tried to print a single A (U+0041) and failed.

EDIT: your text is being interpreted as ISO-8859-1. Notice how your あ character became ã in the output. That has a simple explanation: あ is U+3042, and U+3042 is encoded as E3 81 82 in UTF-8. But if you read those three bytes as ISO-8859-1 instead, you get ã (0xE3 in ISO-8859-1) followed by two invisible control characters (0x81 and 0x82).
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)