Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Don Cherry fired
https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/report-...24744.html

He hosted Coach's Corner and Hockey Night in Canada for 38 years and was recently fired for saying this about immigrants:

"You people… love our way of life, love our milk and honey. At least you could pay a couple of bucks for poppies or something like that. These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada.”

Discuss.
"anyway.. why do people keep saying my name? i don't sim anymore lol"
Just a bit ignorant, really.
The purpose of the message, which is to respect the occasion/day and the meaning of it is fine and definitely important, but to single-out a whole population (immigrants) and not only suggest that they collectively don't intend to honour the day but to also attack them based on that presumption is just uncalled for. Also honestly, there are so many other ways (many of them arguably better) to pay respect and homage other than having to buy a poppy.

• єиα •
He used "You people" then said something attacking generalising the whole group
that's uncalled for imo
Is that how media is? Most people don't agree with their statement, so they get thrown out? I don't like what they said, but exposing people to differing or ignorant points of view isn't inherently a bad thing.
Was she reality or just a dream to me

[Image: kFpaVQg.png]
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Mystery for this post:
  • Ali, heart
(2019-11-15 13:15:34)Mystery Wrote: Is that how media is? Most people don't agree with their statement, so they get thrown out? I don't like what they said, but exposing people to differing or ignorant points of view isn't inherently a bad thing.

Yeah, that's my problem with this sort of thing. Stopping someone from expressing views doesn't get rid of them or change people's minds. You could argue that not giving these views a platform gives them less traction but I don't know if that's the case given that the internet exists.
"anyway.. why do people keep saying my name? i don't sim anymore lol"
I do for sure think firing someone for 1 thing like this is overboard though
It does show a point for sure, but it seems extremely harsh
lol get Ok Boomered
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Patriotic Nigra for this post:
  • Ali, Day Of Lavos, FinalCheetah
I don't see his comments as being racist. So I'm kinda confused by the knee jerk reaction.
(2019-11-22 12:44:40)FinalCheetah Wrote: I don't see his comments as being racist. So I'm kinda confused by the knee jerk reaction.

It's 2019, everything is racist didn't you know that
I don't have a sicknature
YouTube (original music) | Newgrounds (games)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Verdusk for this post:
  • FinalCheetah
Many people still don't seem to understand the difference between ignorance and racism.
Was she reality or just a dream to me

[Image: kFpaVQg.png]