Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Was gonna make this thread:
I was gonna make a thread named "Can a shellscript implement any programming languages?", learning the being of POSIXism.

Then I found somebody had implemented brainfuck using shellscript.

Also this person implemented a Turing machine in Bash, though it's Japanese.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to SouthAnd960 for this post:
  • heart
You've just discovered Turing completeness.
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to aaaaaa123456789 for this post:
  • heart
Already know the word and its definition.

PS. Studying one esolang I brought back.
This is gonna be out of the topic but I googled POSIXism again then found this: this person publishes many tools written in shellscript. For example he says that RDBMS can be realized with some POSIX utilities.
That doesn't mean it's a good idea.
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

And they insist on that POSIX is useful as emergency food for software. I.e. tools developed with POSIX would stand for a long years, unlike to ones developed for iOS, Android, etc.
That's correct. Many POSIX tools we use nowadays are over 30 years old, which is an eternity in computing.
That being said, POSIX compliance doesn't give you carte blanche for downright silly ideas, like a database in Bash. It's still silly and about as useful as a book written in invisible ink.