Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
YouTube FTC COPPA Compliance
Discuss

Info:
(2019-11-21 02:46:56)Uptight 534 Wrote: Youtube was found to be in violation of the United States' Children's Online Policy Act (COPPA) by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC). For context this is the same law that was enforced on JV (and is on JV2) that did not allow children under thirteen to register and be registered on the site without their parents permission. If someone said they were under thirteen (even as a joke), they would get banned until their thirteenth birthday.

Youtube cannot have collect data and target ads for children under thirteen. This causes content creators specializing in videos for younger people to lose revenue because targeted ads bring more revenue than general ads. There are also other restrictions on videos aimed at children. Creators have to specifically mark if one of their videos is aimed at children. If they do not do this and the FTC deems them in violation, the FTC will give them a fine of (so far seeing) $42,350 per video in violation.

There is also the issue of what constitutes "videos aimed at children" and content creators are worrying about if they will get affected (for example, gaming channels) (I think Camer is falling under this instant since Youtube can likely say PR2 videos are aimed at children).

Here is an article on this and a video from Youtube describing how content creators must comply:
https://nerdist.com/article/youtube-ftc-...emonetize/

I personally think YouTube should've just said "ok we collect data (do personalised ads/homescreen/etc.) on those with accounts only" but ofc they want money, so will put all this on the creators to get the most money still

EDIT: I don't blame YT for the situation overall (that is the FTC), only how they have dealt with it
youtube isn't the one who wants this, why are you blaming them? youtube has done plenty to prevent kids data from being collected, they made an entire app/subdivision of their site specifically for kids .
the blame here is on the FTC for thinking that youtube should be parenting these peoples' kids.
[Image: tumblr_nddxf2XzYY1tvf9p0o1_400.gif]
(2019-11-21 16:08:57)heart Wrote: youtube isn't the one who wants this, why are you blaming them? youtube has done plenty to prevent kids data from being collected, they made an entire app/subdivision of their site specifically for kids .
the blame here is on the FTC for thinking that youtube should be parenting these peoples' kids.

I'm not blaming YT for this situation, it's the FTC
I'm just saying what they have done in the face of it (putting it on creators, rather than only targeting towards people logged in) is bad
(2019-11-21 16:21:55)Camer the Dragon Wrote:
(2019-11-21 16:08:57)heart Wrote: youtube isn't the one who wants this, why are you blaming them? youtube has done plenty to prevent kids data from being collected, they made an entire app/subdivision of their site specifically for kids . the blame here is on the FTC for thinking that youtube should be parenting these peoples' kids.
I'm not blaming YT for this situation, it's the FTC I'm just saying what they have done in the face of it (putting it on creators, rather than only targeting towards people logged in) is bad
it's not their choice, the FTC is the one targeting creators as well as youtube
What can YouTube do? Even Google's money is not enough to subsist in the face of recurring penalties. They have no choice but to comply.

The COPPA itself is broken. The Internet has known that for a while. But what's new?
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
So now you can't monetize child friendly videos anymore due to this, but if you make more mature content you get instantly demonetized for not being advertiser friendly. Am I understanding this correctly? Are content creators going to be screwed either way?
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Legend for this post:
  • aaaaaa123456789, Ali, Camer the Dragon
At least big channels can rely on Patreon as a crutch but I guess smaller channels are pretty fucked. My Youtube channel isn't monetized so I'm assuming I'm not going to be part of the purge here, but hopefully I don't have to delete my videos cause I don't have the original files anymore and I don't feel like backing all of them up

(2019-11-22 04:17:06)Legend Wrote: So now you can't monetize child friendly videos anymore due to this, but if you make more mature content you get instantly demonetized for not being advertiser friendly. Am I understanding this correctly? Are content creators going to be screwed either way?

This is wrong. Child marked videos just get a "General ad" instead of a "Targeted ad". General ads bring in less money than Targeted ads though.
[Image: ebvLbre.jpg]
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to Uptight 534 for this post:
  • aaaaaa123456789, Ali, Camer the Dragon, heart, Legend, SouthAnd960
(2019-11-22 04:40:46)Uptight 534 Wrote:
(2019-11-22 04:17:06)Legend Wrote: So now you can't monetize child friendly videos anymore due to this, but if you make more mature content you get instantly demonetized for not being advertiser friendly. Am I understanding this correctly? Are content creators going to be screwed either way?

This is wrong. Child marked videos just get a "General ad" instead of a "Targeted ad". General ads bring in less money than Targeted ads though.

I'm guessing general ads probably don't pay as well as targeted ones. Does that mean the result will be child friendly Youtubers earning less than they were before?
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Legend for this post:
  • aaaaaa123456789, Camer the Dragon, Uptight 534
general ads give 60-90% less than targeted ads
I'm surprised more Youtubers that are doing this as their job are not using Patreon or similar sites.
(2019-11-22 03:07:12)heart Wrote:
(2019-11-21 16:21:55)Camer the Dragon Wrote:
(2019-11-21 16:08:57)heart Wrote: youtube isn't the one who wants this, why are you blaming them? youtube has done plenty to prevent kids data from being collected, they made an entire app/subdivision of their site specifically for kids . the blame here is on the FTC for thinking that youtube should be parenting these peoples' kids.
I'm not blaming YT for this situation, it's the FTC I'm just saying what they have done in the face of it (putting it on creators, rather than only targeting towards people logged in) is bad
it's not their choice, the FTC is the one targeting creators as well as youtube

Apparently in COPPA law there's a case for both and YT have blatantly ignored this case
(2019-11-22 12:41:32)FinalCheetah Wrote: I'm surprised more Youtubers that are doing this as their job are not using Patreon or similar sites.

I imagine a bigger percentage of them will if it keeps getting harder to earn money on the platform. Many people use this as their sole income.

I can only imagine how stressful it would be if my job said "You might only earn 40% of the amount you were making before."
Was she reality or just a dream to me

[Image: kFpaVQg.png]