Poll: What is Earth?
flat
not flat
[Show Results]

Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Earth flat?
(2019-11-23 07:03:28)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote:
(2019-11-23 06:18:50)SouthAnd960 Wrote: Isn't it necessary to discuss the topic?
It's nothing but a religious topic; just believe in what you would like to believe.

I want to believe you're joking/trolling. I want to believe.

That sounds like a religion
I don't have a sicknature
YouTube (original music) | Newgrounds (games)
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Verdusk for this post:
  • Residays
All you have to say is "religious" to start an argument
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Mystery for this post:
  • Milkmann
(2019-11-25 07:21:10)Ringstaart Wrote: Deism can't be proven either way, but that's not the case for the forms of theism a staggering number of people actually hold. If you believe that God exists because of the evidence of Him coming to earth in the form of his only begotten son and performing miracles then that's pretty falsifiable. If you believe that God has certain commonly accepted properties then you need an answer to the problem of suffering.

Falsifying the existence of that kind of God is still hard because a lot of extremely intelligent people have been coming up with counter-counter-arguments for as long as the counter-arguments have existed. There's a retort against everything, and although the retorts are each a bit shaky individually they often require a lot of specialized knowledge to convincingly refute and they add up to a system with enough internal consistency to be believable to even legitimately skeptical people on the inside of it.

I think theism is also in practice founded on trust in the community, so it's not so different from the others in that sense. "My entire village believes in God so they're probably onto something" is not such a bad reason to be religious.

Like typical theism, the flat earth conspiracy theory rests on some factual assertions that can in principle be checked, but that mostly can't be checked at your kitchen table and that all have elaborate counter-counter-arguments based on specialized knowledge about optics and such. You need to go pretty deep to satisfyingly break the internal consistency.

For both of them you can argue that debating them isn't worth it. They have this way of generating lots of heat and not convincing a lot of people, so you're better off discussing other things. I don't know if I agree, but it's defensible.

"Do vaccines cause autism" has severe negative observable concrete short-term effects if you act on the wrong position. I don't think a live and let live approach is as justifiable for that.

So what SouthAnd960 said can make sense as a non-jokey opinion if you swap out the word "religious".

love him or hate him he spittin straight fax

[Image: fLMubjiCQnKaj1-B2t7TJg.png]
(2019-11-30 18:26:21)Zenas Wrote: love him or hate him he spittin straight fax

[Image: eztxv5137ke31.png]
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to aaaaaa123456789 for this post:
  • Ali, Camer the Dragon
(2019-11-23 20:15:41)IcyMind Wrote: lolis are flat.

oppai-lolis are a thing you know
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Tebbe for this post:
  • IcyMind
Earth is fat
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Mystery for this post:
  • Northadox, Verdusk
I spent quite a lot of time listening in on the big Flat Earth Discord server, and watching some of their livestreams with my friends. It's fascinating the amount of time and effort these people put into these theories. The skepticism some of them have is actually admirable. So many people joined the server over and over asserting the same points or giving the same arguments, like "what about the seasons" "what about boats on the horizon" etc. but the "globers" all fail to convey anything meaningful since a lot of their understanding is surface level. There's loads of nuances to arguing with a flat earther that you wouldn't know unless you heard them argue or talk among themselves.

The details they pick at are weird. If you talk about a model they want you to be specific about what model of the Earth. They want to know what type of gravity you talk about, Newtonian or Einsteinian gravity - a hurdle most people fall at immediately. Answer Newtonian and you'll be prompted to offer evidence of mass attracting mass. Answer Einsteinian and you probably won't be able to say a word about the curvature of space-time anyway. So if you can't assert and prove the existence of a force attracting two masses, then you lose the ability to argue that the Earth's atmosphere is kept in place by gravity. And so they have theories about a firmament around Earth, and doubt the existence of space, as without a "container", the pressure difference between earth and space would surely rip our atmosphere into the void. They liked to cite the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics, though oddly none of them provided anything to back up that the law was valid. When I asked someone, they just told me "it's a natural law, it's observed always" which wasn't really convincing.

I still go back sometimes but it's really just a breeding ground for anti-semitism and all sorts of awful conspiracies. Lots of talk about Zionists and freemasonry and misinformation about more than just flat earth. Most of them fully devote all their accounts on anything to the flat earth cause, and their frequent wins over ill informed challengers just cements their own ideas in their heads. It's crazy but incredibly interesting and I'd recommend people just go and sit in their 24/7 channels some time to get a grasp at how difficult it is to change their minds.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Shade for this post:
  • aaaaaa123456789, Ali
Well I don't know about you guys, but reading about these donut shapes is making me a little peckish.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to FinalCheetah for this post:
  • Mystery
(2020-01-08 19:06:54)FinalCheetah Wrote: Well I don't know about you guys, but reading about these donut shapes is making me a little peckish.

Hungry for planets?
My avatar comes from https://thegamercat.com/
(2020-01-10 11:34:24)Residays Wrote:
(2020-01-08 19:06:54)FinalCheetah Wrote: Well I don't know about you guys, but reading about these donut shapes is making me a little peckish.

Hungry for planets?

[Image: source.gif]
[Image: ebvLbre.jpg]

The funny thing is this was actually theorized.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Mystery for this post:
  • FinalCheetah, heart