Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why not Rebuild Acid?
(EDITED: I fucked up earlier) Acid Forums is pretty dead, and something should be done to revive it.

Game servers for games that most of the people here play would be nice, or an official discord with equivalent channels.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Residays for this post:
  • Camer the Dragon
Forums not being popular isn't a good reason to abandon forums. The only valid reason for that is because of lack of activity, which does apply. Forums being not popular in general wouldn't be reason enough to abandon forums if there were still people and activity in the forums, which may not be the case here, but I'm sure applies to a lot of forums still up around the Internet. You wouldn't tell them to take down the forum and move on to Discord just because forums aren't considered popular anymore.

Another thing I need to point out is that a Discord server isn't the only replacement for forums, they are less organized to be suitable for deeper discussions, any discussions tend to get quickly derailed and you can't just pick up where you left off the discussion and continue the same topic as easily as in forums. This lack of attention span and organization doesn't particularly appeal to me, I feel that as a community we'd need someplace actually organized, so that we can go beyond short-lived conversations and only hanging out. Even sub-reddits have these features - we can always combine other places like that with Discord.

I believe our main issue is the lack of activity and people, not the fact that the place is a forum as opposed to a Discord server. I'm aware that hosting game servers can be one potential solution to this, though.
I don't have a sicknature
YouTube (original music) | Newgrounds (games)
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Verdusk for this post:
  • Bernkastel, Mystery, Residays
I was a bit overwhelmed by a number of personal projects and I decided to take a short break from basically doing anything productive online — this included managing the forums. This was three weeks ago. And yet, someone's acting as if I was Jiggmin and I hadn't posted in years!
Have you considered how rude it is to tell someone "hey, your forum's useless and I know better than you how you should use your money, so delete your forum and make me a VPS instead"?

For the record, I'm not sure of why you say I've been struggling financially. I live in a poor country with a weak economy, perpetual inflation and a bad exchange rate, which means any imported goods (like this forum's upkeep) are expensive. That doesn't mean I can't afford them. Right now, Nick still pays the actual bill, but that's mostly for administrative convenience; I'm giving him most of the money for it. (The rest comes from that one Patreon.)

Discord servers are free, and they come with bonus features such as people randomly getting globally banned because Discord says so. I've seen a number of cases like this recently. Don't get me wrong: I still use Discord every day, but it's not a silver bullet, and moving a community into a service owned, controlled and managed by a third party is just a terrible idea — we have no control over it.

I'm serious here. I take a short break from things and suddenly you come and tell me to delete the fucking forums. What the hell?
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
[-] The following 6 users say Thank You to aaaaaa123456789 for this post:
  • Bernkastel, Matt, Morena Batteux, Mystery, ProClifo, Residays
Discord isn't a good replacement for forums. That's been shown time and time again. Like Verdusk said, you can't have specific discussions in separate spaces. Anything I tried to talk about in a Discord server gets lost almost instantly. This is one of the major reasons I left your Discord server, Residays. I don't like it nearly as much as a forum. We need activity, not a Discord. I don't understand why people take one look at the activity and say "shut it down!" Just because we're a smaller community than before doesn't mean we should remove it for everyone that still enjoys it. The costs are covered, and I'll chip in money towards the server costs again if needed. It's not gonna break my wallet.

(2020-11-14 21:15:36)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: And yet, someone's acting as if I was Jiggmin and I hadn't posted in years!

If you're talking about me, I was just joking. I still really enjoy this place, and you can't toss something like this out and replace it with a Discord server.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Mystery for this post:
  • Bernkastel, Residays
(2020-11-14 21:15:36)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: I For the record, I'm not sure of why you say I've been struggling financially. I live in a poor country with a weak economy, perpetual inflation and a bad exchange rate, which means any imported goods (lik this forum's upkeep) are expensive. That doesn't mean I can't afford them. Right now, Nick still pays the actual bill, but that's mostly for administrative convenience; I'm giving him most of the money for it. (The rest comes from that one Patreon.)

Not you, i remember there was a guy who was paying for the costs of the forums. He said he couldn't pay much for the server anymore which lead to people donating.
(2020-11-15 02:16:16)Residays Wrote:
(2020-11-14 21:15:36)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: I  For the record, I'm not sure of why you say I've been struggling financially. I live in a poor country with a weak economy, perpetual inflation and a bad exchange rate, which means any imported goods (lik this forum's upkeep) are expensive. That doesn't mean I can't afford them. Right now, Nick still pays the actual bill, but that's mostly for administrative convenience; I'm giving him most of the money for it. (The rest comes from that one Patreon.)

Not you, i remember there was a guy who was paying for the costs of the forums. He said he couldn't pay much for the server anymore which lead to people donating.

Are you talking about Captain of the Inks? Yeah, that's Nick. He wasn't struggling financially, he was talking about how he couldn't justify an expense on a forum site that he barely uses.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Mystery for this post:
  • Residays
(2020-11-15 02:21:18)Mystery Wrote:
(2020-11-15 02:16:16)Residays Wrote:
(2020-11-14 21:15:36)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: I For the record, I'm not sure of why you say I've been struggling financially. I live in a poor country with a weak economy, perpetual inflation and a bad exchange rate, which means any imported goods (lik this forum's upkeep) are expensive. That doesn't mean I can't afford them. Right now, Nick still pays the actual bill, but that's mostly for administrative convenience; I'm giving him most of the money for it. (The rest comes from that one Patreon.)
Are you talking about Captain of the Inks? Yeah, that's Nick. He wasn't struggling financially, he was talking about how he couldn't justify an expense on a forum site that he barely uses.
Ah I must have misremembered, my apologies.

What im trying to say is that we should probably expand to other things and when i mentioned game servers i thought the budget was an issue.
But you said "we don't really need this forum anymore", which is what people have a problem with. Then imply that Discord is a better alternative. Well then, why do we need a Discord rather than a forum when the people here don't want to trade this for a Discord in the first place? Or did you also say that because you thought finances were an issue?
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Mystery for this post:
  • aaaaaa123456789, Bernkastel, Residays
(2020-11-15 02:39:25)Mystery Wrote: But you said "we don't really need this forum anymore", which is what people have a problem with. Then imply that Discord is a better alternative. Well then, why do we need a Discord rather than a forum when the people here don't want to trade this for a Discord in the first place? Or did you also say that because you thought finances were an issue?

I said that because I thought finances were an issue.

Altho now that you showed me the blog and I realized I was misremembering, I'll edit OP. Game servers would still be nice.
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to Residays for this post:
  • aaaaaa123456789, Bernkastel, Mystery
If you have any good ideas for running game servers, feel free to throw them in. I know nothing about the topic; I'm not much of a gamer myself.
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

If you build it, they* will come.

EDIT: Completely screwed up that reference. Originally was, "If you build it, people will come."
[Image: ebvLbre.jpg]
(2020-11-15 18:23:57)Uptight 534 Wrote: If you build it, people will come.

Nah
"anyway.. why do people keep saying my name? i don't sim anymore lol"
How would you guys feel about a discord server with slowmode everywhere to emulate a forum experience?
(2020-11-21 19:30:02)Residays Wrote: How would you guys feel about a discord server with slowmode everywhere to emulate a forum experience?

Slowmode doesn't "emulate a forum experience". Slowmode annoys people. I personally refuse to chat in any chat where slowmode is enabled, and will leave any server that leaves it on for more than a short period of time.

The "forum experience" is created by threaded discussions. You can't have threaded discussions in a Discord server. A chat and a forum are fundamentally different media, and it would make no sense to try to emulate one using the other. It won't work, anyway. Chat threads in forums don't emulate chat servers, and hindered discussion channels in chat services don't emulate forums.

[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to aaaaaa123456789 for this post:
  • Bernkastel, Mystery, Residays
This forum is great. Just needs more activity. Solve that problem then problem overall is solved. And boosting activity isn’t impossible. It’s something everyone would have to work at. Why not try spreading the word and reaching out to new members. Build on the community. Think JV. There were weekly/monthly games people would get involved in. Top poster/Top thanked etc etc. It gave people an inventive to post especially when they were rewarded badges for reaching certain milestones or appearing on the “leaderboard” each week.

We don’t really have a structure like that here, YET. No one is saying it can’t be done. Admins are busy with their own lives so it’s not easy. From my own, uneducated, opinion; I would say get more admins active. Start building an infrastructure that rewards peoples engagement. Branch out to more members outside of the forum. Don’t give up on a forum which has served you nicely for the last few years and appreciate the time and money that has already been put into it by ax6 and Nick.

I would also say it would be cool to have deeper levels of personalisation for our profiles like how we could customise our pages on JV. But look.. I’m only a humble troll who’s motivated by the idea of making people Yemlo and annoying mods. I’m not educated enough on how internet message boards work.. just offering ideas.

Will also note that yes, JV had PR2 that worked in harmony with the forum and that helped a lot. But there are still countless forums like ours which are popping everyday gaining attention with deep communities engaging within it.

Tl;dr
More admins (Not mods we don’t need them until the community grows again)/Bigger focus on rewarding engagement/advertise the forum/Give people a reason to stay.

A community cannot be built by ONE PERSON. I’ll give a list of things below that would make
Me become way more active if they were in place:

- Top Poster leaderboard
- Top thanked leaderboard
- Sweet, sweet glorious badges
- Profile customisation like JV
- more rolls for members with different coloured names to appeal to everyone’s ego (editor roll for say a weekly article on whatever for instance)
- more forum games that aren’t count to 1 million lmao 
- bubbles at top of forum I can pop for hours 

Basically want jv back :-(

You taught me love, you taught me life, you taught me yemlo.

x
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Matt for this post:
  • Residays
(2020-12-12 12:52:01)Matt Wrote: This forum is great. Just needs more activity. Solve that problem then problem overall is solved. And boosting activity isn’t impossible. It’s something everyone would have to work at. Why not try spreading the word and reaching out to new members. Build on the community. Think JV. There were weekly/monthly games people would get involved in. Top poster/Top thanked etc etc. It gave people an inventive to post especially when they were rewarded badges for reaching certain milestones or appearing on the “leaderboard” each week.

We don’t really have a structure like that here, YET. No one is saying it can’t be done. Admins are busy with their own lives so it’s not easy. From my own, uneducated, opinion; I would say get more admins active. Start building an infrastructure that rewards peoples engagement. Branch out to more members outside of the forum. Don’t give up on a forum which has served you nicely for the last few years and appreciate the time and money that has already been put into it by ax6 and Nick.

I would also say it would be cool to have deeper levels of personalisation for our profiles like how we could customise our pages on JV. But look.. I’m only a humble troll who’s motivated by the idea of making people Yemlo and annoying mods. I’m not educated enough on how internet message boards work.. just offering ideas.

Will also note that yes, JV had PR2 that worked in harmony with the forum and that helped a lot. But there are still countless forums like ours which are popping everyday gaining attention with deep communities engaging within it.

Tl;dr
More admins (Not mods we don’t need them until the community grows again)/Bigger focus on rewarding engagement/advertise the forum/Give people a reason to stay.

A community cannot be built by ONE PERSON. I’ll give a list of things below that would make
Me become way more active if they were in place:

- Top Poster leaderboard
- Top thanked leaderboard
- Sweet, sweet glorious badges
- Profile customisation like JV
- more rolls for members with different coloured names to appeal to everyone’s ego (editor roll for say a weekly article on whatever for instance)
- more forum games that aren’t count to 1 million lmao 
- bubbles at top of forum I can pop for hours 

Basically want jv back :-(

jv2 is a thing homie

i think we should get a discord server so we can play among us n shi
other than that the forums r coolin
tryna make it out the hood