Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TheOdds1sOut Cancelled
In a now deleted tweet, animation youtuber TheOdds1sOut tweeted the following:

[Image: EnOS8qdXcAIa-VH?format=png&name=900x900]

This quickly made a lot of twitter users who are neurodivergent (ADHD and Autistic for example) get offended, and cancel him. The hashtag "#TheOdd1sOutIsOverParty" was trending for a while.

Upon realizing that he accidentally offended people, Odds quickly deleted the tweet and apologized not knowing he discreted ND people.

The argument is that ND (Neurodivergent) people heavily rely on tone indicators, which is understandable, but in my opinion cancelling a man who made a genuine mistake without knowing is pretty stupid.

What are your thoughts on this? Are you ND and does this offend you? Do you think this situation is stupid?

I am a ND guy with ADHD and high-functioning aspergers syndrome, and I wasn't offended by this. Some people have straight up called him an ableist despite the fact that he has showed all the symptoms for dyslexia.

You can see the thread where people hate on him here: https://twitter.com/theodd1sout/status/1...5739926530
This isn't cancelling.
(2020-11-24 14:57:45)Morena Batteux Wrote: This isn't cancelling.
Or is it?
People get offended too easily. But I'll be willing to spare a bit of sympathy for people who get offended because they feel bad about themselves.

The real issue are the people who think it is their moral duty to get offended in the name of any group, particularly (although not exclusively) a group they don't belong to. Nobody represents a group unless there's a proper representative procedure (e.g., a vote) determining it. The best thing those people could cancel if they want to do some good to the world is their Internet service.
If you need to contact me for any reason, or if you have any questions, concerns, problems or requests, message me here or email me at aaaaaa123456789@acidch.at.

This forum has been around for (loading...)
[-] The following 3 users say Thank You to aaaaaa123456789 for this post:
  • AN|0N, heart, Residays
(2020-11-24 17:45:02)aaaaaa123456789 Wrote: People get offended too easily. But I'll be willing to spare a bit of sympathy for people who get offended because they feel bad about themselves. The real issue are the people who think it is their moral duty to get offended in the name of any group, particularly (although not exclusively) a group they don't belong to. Nobody represents a group unless there's a proper representative procedure (e.g., a vote) determining it. The best thing those people could cancel if they want to do some good to the world is their Internet service.

Damn ax6 you're really savage lately.
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Residays for this post:
  • heart
Since your image didn't attach, here's the deleted tweet being referred to:

[Image: 45488rnoia061.png?width=640&crop=smart&a...9590aed544]

(2020-11-24 15:27:49)Residays Wrote:
(2020-11-24 14:57:45)Morena Batteux Wrote: This isn't cancelling.
Or is it?

People have imbued the word “cancelling” with such ridiculous power — far removed from reality. I consider something cancelling when backlash toward a person results in their removal from a position. Aside from opinions of distaste being voiced by a “crowd” of people on Twitter (alongside another sizable “crowd” who also happened to be ND yet who seemed unoffended), no such thing happened here.

My thing is, if a person genuinely causes harm and faces their due justice (for lack of a better term; this can be something as simple as being removed from the situation where harm was caused), this is a good thing. Malicious actions have consequences, and prevention of further harm is important. The issue is that many prominent people who act in genuine malice, and hurt others, get away with it. A prominent person is never truly in trouble unless they do something heinous.

What don't I consider cancelling? Disavowing someone is not, on its own, cancelling. I might agree that a large online dismissal of a person may create profound negative (and in many cases) undue harm for that person. But negatively impacting someone's professional standing is another thing entirely.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Morena Batteux for this post:
  • aaaaaa123456789, Residays
(2020-11-24 20:27:10)Morena Batteux Wrote: Since your image didn't attach, here's the deleted tweet being referred to: [Image: 45488rnoia061.png?width=640&crop=smart&a...9590aed544]
That's odd. I can see it just fine in my screen.

(2020-11-24 20:27:10)Morena Batteux Wrote:
(2020-11-24 15:27:49)Residays Wrote:
(2020-11-24 14:57:45)Morena Batteux Wrote: This isn't cancelling.
Or is it?
People have imbued the word “cancelling” with such ridiculous power — far removed from reality. I consider something cancelling when backlash toward a person results in their removal from a position. Aside from opinions of distaste being voiced by a “crowd” of people on Twitter (alongside another sizable “crowd” who also happened to be ND yet who seemed unoffended), no such thing happened here. My thing is, if a person genuinely causes harm and faces their due justice (for lack of a better term; this can be something as simple as being removed from the situation where harm was caused), this is a good thing. Malicious actions have consequences, and prevention of further harm is important. The issue is that many prominent people who act in genuine malice, and hurt others, get away with it. A prominent person is never truly in trouble unless they do something heinous. What don't I consider cancelling? Disavowing someone is not, on its own, cancelling. I might agree that a large online dismissal of a person may create profound negative (and in many cases) undue harm for that person. But negatively impacting someone's professional standing is another thing entirely.
You bring up a good point! Although unfortunately the tweet definitely did create some fights and drama, so cancel culture or not it was still a shitfest.

Fortunately, it seems that in the next tweet everyone apparently forgot or moved on. Fights are still going on in the thread for the apology though...
(2020-11-24 20:38:34)Residays Wrote: You bring up a good point! Although unfortunately the tweet definitely did create some fights and drama, so cancel culture or not it was still a shitfest.

Fortunately, it seems that in the next tweet everyone apparently forgot or moved on. Fights are still going on in the thread for the apology though...

Twitter is essentially a shitfest already. Just a pissing contest between people with different views.

Then once a year, someone is going to bring this up and "cancel" again. Every year, it seems people try to "cancel" Robert Downey Jr. for wearing blackface in Tropic Thunder and not even do any research into the background of it (to summarize, it was to make fun of method acting in Hollywood, and was approved by the NAACP).
[Image: ebvLbre.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Uptight 534 for this post:
  • Residays
(2020-11-24 21:28:45)Uptight 534 Wrote: Every year, it seems people try to "cancel" Robert Downey Jr. for wearing blackface in Tropic Thunder

it took me 3/4 of the movie to realize that was robert downey jr wearing brown makeup
[Image: tumblr_nddxf2XzYY1tvf9p0o1_400.gif]
(2020-11-24 21:28:45)Uptight 534 Wrote:
(2020-11-24 20:38:34)Residays Wrote: You bring up a good point! Although unfortunately the tweet definitely did create some fights and drama, so cancel culture or not it was still a shitfest. Fortunately, it seems that in the next tweet everyone apparently forgot or moved on. Fights are still going on in the thread for the apology though...
Twitter is essentially a shitfest already. Just a pissing contest between people with different views. Then once a year, someone is going to bring this up and "cancel" again. Every year, it seems people try to "cancel" Robert Downey Jr. for wearing blackface in Tropic Thunder and not even do any research into the background of it (to summarize, it was to make fun of method acting in Hollywood, and was approved by the NAACP).

That fucking sucks, not gonna lie.

I plan to become a content creator and finish writing my book to make some profit in USD since you know, Venezuela is doomed and all.

A lot of my posts here are pretty immature and dumb (I was an autistic teenager with no guidance) and if by complete coincidence I become popular, people will dig this up and cancel me even though those old posts don't really represent who I am today.

I think one is better off staying in small communities like Acid Forums or a discord server you enjoy, because when something goes big it seems to attract a lot of annoying people.
[-] The following 2 users say Thank You to Residays for this post:
  • Morena Batteux, Uptight 534
Never back down. Never submit to the mob and apologize, it only adds fuel to the fire.
(2020-11-25 05:49:39)Northadox Wrote: Never back down. Never submit to the mob and apologize, it only adds fuel to the fire.
Wouldn't apologizing be the best thing to do for damage control?
(2020-11-25 12:47:38)Residays Wrote:
(2020-11-25 05:49:39)Northadox Wrote: Never back down. Never submit to the mob and apologize, it only adds fuel to the fire.

Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Don’t apologize = you are terrible because you are not recognizing your problem. Apologize = you are not sincere and your apology means nothing (of course there are insincere apologies).
[Image: ebvLbre.jpg]
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Uptight 534 for this post:
  • Residays
(2020-11-25 13:06:09)Uptight 534 Wrote:
(2020-11-25 12:47:38)Residays Wrote:
Damned if you do, damned if you don’t. Don’t apologize = you are terrible because you are not recognizing your problem. Apologize = you are not sincere and your apology means nothing (of course there are insincere apologies).
Yeah that seems to be the case a lot of the time, unfortunately.

Although a portion of people accepting your apology is probably the best fate.
(2020-11-24 13:01:01)Residays Wrote: The argument is that ND (Neurodivergent) people heavily rely on tone indicators, which is understandable, but in my opinion cancelling a man who made a genuine mistake without knowing is pretty stupid.
he didn't make a mistake, /s is a horrible satanic sin put forth by the child sacrificing death camp of reddit.org
no
(2020-11-26 10:26:55)rabbits Wrote:
(2020-11-24 13:01:01)Residays Wrote: The argument is that ND (Neurodivergent) people heavily rely on tone indicators, which is understandable, but in my opinion cancelling a man who made a genuine mistake without knowing is pretty stupid.
he didn't make a mistake, /s is a horrible satanic sin put forth by the child sacrificing death camp of reddit.org
[Image: QnpEGGJ.png]
i thought the original post itself was meant to be satire

this feels like twitch banning the term 'blind playthrough' from twitch because it was offensive to blind people which is even more stupid because it's actually a thing https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2...t-language

better cancel all those blind dates you have set up for after covid
Working on a better future
[Image: WkuV46j.png]
All kinds of shitty music: https://soundcloud.com/jomumusic
[-] The following 1 user says Thank You to Dootany for this post:
  • heart
The people rallying together to cancel someone off the internet are terrible and should be ashamed. It's affecting their livelihoods. People are gonna make mistakes. Have a shred of forgiveness. In some cases, they aren't even mistakes. Some of the worse "cancels" have been entirely fabricated. I remember one time when they tried to cancel James Rolfe because they said his Ghostbusters review was sexist (Come on guys, James Rolfe is like the most down to earth youtuber). People need to stop being so malicious and go enjoy their life instead of negatively affecting others.
[-] The following 4 users say Thank You to Mystery for this post:
  • aaaaaa123456789, heart, Northadox, Residays